Sunday, July 23, 2006

July 23, 2006

July 23, 2006

It’s true. There is no place like home. And there is nothing like a 16 days vacation to remind you of that. I apologize for the lack of new entries to our blog. Since we returned from our family reunions, things have been very busy. So, I will write up this week first and hopefully later today get to telling you about our exciting summer vacation!!

We got in last Saturday from our trip. It felt so great to be home and in our own beds. Monday was a very busy day. Marisa started “College for kids” at Coe College. She is taking Edible Art History, French, and Sherlock Holmes. She absolutely LOVES it! She has all 3 classes every morning for 2 weeks. So, she will be finishing the classes up this coming Friday. Also, on Monday, the girls had gymnastics. Kayla was asked to join the preteam in the Fall. She is so excited! That’s a big jump for her. It will be a lot of work, but she enjoys it. Then Kayla had her last band lesson. After that, Kayla and Marisa had their eye doctor appt. No glasses for them!

On Tuesday, I took Ty, Kayla, and Alayna to see “Dreamer” for the free movie. Even though Alayna was wiggly and not all that interested in the movie, I REALLY enjoyed it. It was such a beautiful little movie. And Kayla, with her giant love for horses, was in heaven. We had a busy day cleaning and then Kayla and Alayna had make up gymnastics classes while Tyler had Tae kwon do.
On Wednesday, we played and prepared the house for Nina’s (My sister) arrival. She and her kids are visiting from Tennessee for about 10 days. We were so excited to have them come. The kids have been playing perfectly and the weather couldn’t be better. They have been playing in our pool, playing outside, playing dress up, using Nina’s Karaoke machine, etc. Anyway, that night, Marisa went to YW, but no one told her it was at a park. It took 45 minutes before I could get their to pick her up. I think her feelings were hurt, and I was mad. She forgot to tell the YW we would be gone on vacation for a while. While we were gone, no one called to check and see where she was. On Wednesday , one hour before YW, one of the Beehives called her and told her she was in charge of drinks and if she couldn’t bring them then she should bring $2 instead. Ookkaayy? She never mentioned the location was changed or any details. When we got home that night, after she waited by herslef at the church for 45 minutes, I told her I was sure people noticed she wasn’t there. Still, no calls. So, I called her leader to let her know what was going on.

On Thursday, we had Kayla’s band parent teacher conference. Her teacher said she was doing a fabulous job and he would love for her to continue in the Fall. She was thrilled about that. Kayla had a makeup gymnastics class and Tyler had TKD. That afternoon , Marisa had an appt with an orthopedist who looked that the cyst on her hand that has been hurting for over a year. He took xrays and then said instead of surgery, he could just drain it. So, they did it in the office. I am sure it hurt. Plus, she had a strange reaction to the novocaine. She almost passed out while we were checking out. After a stressful, 2 hour visit, we came home and the cyst is gone. She is thrilled!

Friday was dubbed “Insanity Day”. Nina and I attempted grocery shopping at Walmart with 6 kids. Holy crap! I knew we were crazy, but sheesh! Anyway, we got some fun stuff for the next week or so. After lunch the kids played and watched “Sky High”. Then that evening we took the kids to the movie Theater to see “Cars”. Bought met us there from work. What an absolutely adorable movie.
Saturday was a busy day of us trying to get caught up on everything we have been behind on because of the trip. Once again the kids played in the pool and sprinklers while we cleaned the house, organized the whole toy room, etc. That night, Nina volunteered to watch the kids so we could FINALLY go see “The DaVinci Code”. It was so fun, first of all, to be on an actual date! Then I have been dying to see this movie since it was first released, long ago. I LOVED it! I know it has received much criticism, but I thought it was great. I probably would not have chosen Tom Hanks as the leading men though. Then Bob and I went out to Culver’s for frozen custard. In the meantime, the kids stayed here with Nina and watched “Honey, I shrunk the kids”. A special THANK YOU to Nina!

I have had more struggles with my teaching paperwork. They almost didn’t count my college courses I took this year and would only give me a provisional Iowa license. They have since counted them and my official license will be sent once my fingerprints have been cleared-which is a whole other story. I have also been completing my substitution packet, which is a nightmare. I can tell you EXACTLY why there is a severe sub shortage in Iowa. You HAVE to
have an updated Iowa teaching license, get a medical exam, fill out tons of paperwork, and complete a huge course on domestic violence and child abuse. That is JUST to be a sub. Now you have an idea of what I am going through to secure just a teaching license.

I guess that sums up this busy week. I hope to write up our vacation adventures soon. Hope all is well and thanks to our families for a Fabulous vacation!!

No comments:

Utah- Part 4