Sunday, January 05, 2014

Worst. New Year’s Day. Ever.

I realize as I am writing this that this only concerns 1st world problems and I am being a baby for complaining, but I can’t help but share our story, especially so Marisa can have a good laugh.

So, the plan was to travel home on New Year’s Day. It all started out around 2:30 when Alayna woke me up to tell me her stomach hurt, followed by a burst of vomit full of partially digested noodles. Hey, at least you didn’t have to smell it. I had to rifle through all the luggage for some stomach meds. She finally fell back to sleep. I never did.

We got up at 4:30 and left for the airport at 5:30. We were told a few minutes before we boarded that NO food or even DRINKS would be served on our flight. What?! So we had to sell Tyler to be able to afford a couple of drinks.

As we boarded our plane, we saw that they had changed aircrafts so the seating wasn’t the same. What a freakin mess. We paid for certain seats and didn’t get them. We weren’t the only passengers ticked. We sat on the runway for an extra 30 minutes while they tried to figure it all out. Alayna had a fever, aches, and awful chills. I had no meds. I asked everyone around me and no one had any, including the rude stewardess who I wanted to punch.

For over an hour in the air, Alayna was shaking horribly and in tears because she was so sick. Good thing we had air sick bags close by. She must have shaken herself to sleep and slept for a good hour. Then, they started passing out waters and snack packets (probably to make up for the changing aircraft thing) but I was really ticked that they told us there was no food or drinks on the plane. Grrrr.

When we finally landed, I cheered for joy (silently, of course), for I was so grateful to finally be home and able to get some meds for Alayna. Premature celebrations are never a good thing. They told us that the airport didn’t have a gate for us and we would have to wait 30 minutes. Joy. Then a plane landed and took our gate!!! They said it would be another 30 minute wait. I had to deep breathe and I did Tai Chi in my seat. I am not kidding, ask Kayla. After 1 hour and 20 minutes sitting on the tarmac, we finally got off the plane!

Image01012014124223

We got our luggage and since our car was so far away, the boys went to go get it and drive it to the baggage door. The car didn’t start. Lovely. We had to go to the info desk and get skycab to come jump it, for $25 I might add. As they picked us up, we noticed we were out of gas. Lovely. Got to as gas station and guess what? The car died AGAIN! Did I mention is was literally freezing outside? Bob found a nice guy who was willing to help us jump the car again. I call him Slow McDraggy Pants. No, beggars can’t be choosers, but this guy was the slowest, most carefullest (yes I am making that a word) and even called his dad for careful instructions (even though Bob has done this a million times before and knows what he is doing. But we were grateful for the help.

Image01012014130951

We finally made it home. We got Alayna meds, a hot bath, and some good food. Bob left to go get groceries and guess what? No, I mean it, guess! BOTH cars were dead! Both! So, Bob had to use our little machine to charge my car and take it in for a new battery. Yesterday we took in the van for a new battery.

Image01012014131254

We are all home safe and sound. I am exhausted since the others are still on break. Life isn’t fair, but I sure am grateful for a great vacation and a wonderful home to come back to!

Image01012014130304

No comments:

Utah- Part 4