Sunday, January 30, 2005

January 30, 2005

January 30, 2005
Another busy week has come and gone. I have nothing exciting to say about the weather other than it’s very cold here and I have a hard time staying warm. However, we have been struggling with the strange phenomena of static cling! Alayna’s hair stand straight up on her head. Our skirts suck to our tights, so it looks like we are wearing pants- very embarrassing. Tyler can do tricks were candy wrappers stick to his arm, etc. The stuff is entertaining, yet a pain! We did see 4 bunny rabbits in our backyard this week. They come in every night right before the sunsets. So, we see these beautiful grey rabbits on a white blanket of snow, while we watch the beautiful pink sunset. It’s been pretty cool.
Tuesday night was the annual school skate night. So, we took our crew to Superskate! Kayla and Tyler were the only ones brave enough from our family to try. I was afraid I would humiliate and embarrass my children beyond repair, so I opted to watch. The idea of flying around in a circle with nothing on your feet but wheels was enough to make Marisa sit out, no matter how many kids came and tried to talk her into it! Tyler tried so hard. He fell down consistently every 3rd step for several times around. Then he slammed his knee and was crying. Yet, after he calmed down, he went and tried again. I was so proud of him. The person that impressed me the most was Kayla. That girl has some serious determination. She tried the entire hour we were there. She feel down so many times, but by the end, she was able to go around the whole circle without falling once. Of course, it was more like shuffle walking, but she did it!! She is definitely our most athletic child. I tired to take pictures but the batteries in my camera died.
Reflecting back on last Wednesday, I can see the humor in it, but I couldn’t at the time. First, I made pumpkin bars to take to the sisters I visit teach. As I made the frosting the tip of my spatula broke off in the frosting. Believe me, I searched for it, but with no luck. I must confess, I gave it out anyway...don’t tell! Then I was making dinner again for the 4 missionaries. Stupidly, I tried to make that mormon green jello with mandarin oranges. FYI- that doesn’t work! The jello never set, so I had sugary green soup with mandarin oranges. Then, I went to get the salad out of the outside fridge. Well, Bob had turned the temp up so my lettuce salad was frozen. I tried to microwave with poor thing, but had no success. Then my biscuits refused to rise, burned on the bottom, flattened into pancakes, and were white on top. Argh! These missionaries were so sweet and said it was a great meal. Bob asked them who the best cook was in the ward and they answered without missing a beat "your wife". Oh yeah- they aren’t dumb!
Yesterday, the kids had a cool primary activity. They called it the "Cedar Rapids Primary MTC". All the kids came and were given name tags and companions and then they did all sorts of fun missionary activities. Marisa and Kayla got to be companions. Then after lunch, Bob took them sledding down the monster hill and they had an absolute blast. Last night, Bob and I watched "Stepford Wives", I have to admit, I am looking into become one of those- that would be awesome. Then maybe the missionaries would get better meals-hehe!
Marisa was chosen to be in the gifted and talented class for their math portion this semester. They are working on the stock market. She is really enjoying the class. Tyler’s class was assigned to use items around the house to make an "ice keeper". Then each of the kids put an ice cube in their keeper and then they checked at the end of the day to see whose melted. Well, only Tyler’s and one other kids didn’t melt. He was so proud. He and daddy spent the night before making a neat contraption out of styrofoam and duct tape (dad’s favorite new tool) Kayla has had a blast hanging out with her buddy, Olivia, all week. They seem to be inseparable. I am so glad she has a good friend now- that can make all the difference in the world.
Alayna had another busy week driving me up a tree. She redecorated the kitchen in butter (including the TV), fingerpainted with her chocolate ice cream bar, took all the toilet paper off the toiler paper roll, etc. On the upside, however, she decided to potty train herself this week. She has been going in the potty almost all day and dressing herself. She has worn some crazy outfits, but any time I go to change her she says "do it myself!!". Okay...as long as you have clothes on, lady! Another deep thought came to me strongly this week though: I would rather have her making all these messes and running around like the energizer bunny, than be a sick little lifeless child who can’t run and enjoy life. I seem to have forgotten that that’s how the first few years of her life were and how grateful I am that she is well now. I guess it makes the messes not seem so bad anymore. (Except the butter, that is a doozy to clean!)
Have a Happy week!
Love-Kris

No comments:

Utah- Part 4