Sunday, October 15, 2006

October 15, 2006

October 15, 2006

Winter actually hit this week with freezing temps and our first snowfall of the year. We had to dismantle our garden and mow down the watermelon patch to prepare for winter since its obviously on its way. So funny since the week before, we had temps up to 80 degrees. Go figure!

Marisa had her last volleyball game this week. She had a sheet with her stats, so I should have her post it for you. I think she made about 21 points this season? Anyway, she loved it. We want to get her in a city league so she can keep at it, but the only one we have found so far meets on Sundays and that won’t work. She is loving school and her extras like choir, orchestra, and book club. She has to bring a “baby” home for FCS class. It’s computerized and keeps track of how well she takes care of it. It should be very fun. She also cooked french toast for us for dinner last night. I love her cooking and being so responsible. She even made mini pizzas for us last week. She has also been given the opportunity to take the ACT college exam for the Belin-Blank Exceptional Student Talent Search. I will let you know how that goes.

Kayla is sounding so great on the clarinet. I am excited to see her first concert which I think is in November. She is also doing amazing things in gymnastics- flips around the bar on the uneven bars, round offs, etc. I really need to take a video camera so you guys can see her.

Tyler had his last football game. It was at 8am in 36 degrees. Not my idea of fun. But he did a great job and would love to continue next year. I had a great conference with his teacher this week where she told me what a fantastic job he is doing, but wished he would stop humming in class. He is so funny.

Alayna had her last swimming lesson this week. Unfortunately some kid barfed in the pool before her class and they had to close the pool. She was sad. She is loving preschool and even learned about email this week. She spends a lot of time singing lately to anyone that will take the time to listen to her songs. It is quite precious.

Bob has still been playing softball and flag football. We even got to go see both games last week. He has also spent a lot of time playing with the kids in the backyard. Yesterday they decided to try out tackle football. Apparently, Tyler can fall over if you just blow in his general direction and Kayla cannot be tackled unless you pick her up off the ground and throw her. They had a hilarious afternoon.

I worked 3 days this week, all teacher requested. I am getting to know all the teachers on all the teams. I REALLY enjoy teaching there and hope a job will come through for me. The kids are also starting to get to know me and actually say hi to me in the hall now. I taught Marisa’s class twice this week and she seems to like me there. She walks down the hall with me and lets me eat lunch with her in the cafeteria. I plan to take advantage of that acceptance for as long as possible. My 3 classes I was supposed to start taking through independent study this month are not completed yet, so my time table is being messed up. They should be done by December which means I will have two months of solid school, but I can do it.

We finally got a break from our busy schedule last night and watched “Akeelah and the Bee”. What a fantastic movie!!! I love inspirational movies we can watch as a family. My favorite quote from it was:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
Gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously
Give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.
(A return to love - Marianne Williamson)

On that note: Enjoy your week and remember we love you!









(Alayna in her swim class with teacher Miss Audrey)

No comments:

Utah- Part 4