Sunday, December 21, 2008

Can you say "frigid"???

December 21, 2008

When we moved here 4 years ago, we quickly learned what it meant when the weather man said it was going to be “frigid”. We now know that “frigid” is when the wind-chill is -35, the car doors are frozen shut, your car will barely run once you actually get inside, you can see your breath in the car, and when you inhale the inside of your nose completely freezes creating tiny hair icicles in your nostrils. Bet you didn’t know that- you’re welcome!! It is -33 right now and they ended up having church today. That was an experience. It is nice to be home and warm now.

On Monday, I survived an observation by the principal. After long hours of great stress and about 12 hours of prep, it turned out to be a huge success. (2 down one more to go) That night it snowed hard (I think we got about 5 inches). They had school on Tuesday, which was surprising, but I stayed home with Tyler and Alayna who still had that horrible cold (and was able to escape the dreaded Reading Committee Meeting!) Alayna’s music concert and gymnastics were cancelled because of the weather. (insert jig of joy here)

On Wednesday, Kayla helped babysit for a woman in our ward who just found out she has breast cancer. Then Marisa and Kayla helped babysit kids at the church so parents could go shopping for Christmas.

We had a massive storm hit Thursday evening. Alayna’s concert was rescheduled for Thursday night and they still held it. She was so absolutely adorable-(you could almost believe the innocenceJ) She even had a speaking part and did a fantastic job! I hope Bob can post some of what he taped. It continued to snow and snow and snow. That afternoon I went to Walmart to get supplies to make ice cream cone trees in my classes. I was up all night wondering if our last day before break would be cancelled. By 5AM they posted that it was cancelled- I bet you could hear my “hallelujah” song all the way out there in Utah! I crawled back into bed and slept 6 more hours than I usually do. If I could give you a definition of “heaven”- that’s what it would be! We hung out and relaxed (after the weekend deep cleaning, my poor kids)

Saturday was spent doing some major shoveling, making Christmas gifts, and practicing for sharing time (at night Bob went to a friends house to watch “the game”. Not exactly sure what game that was but I guess it was an important one?) The kids shoveled for hours only to have the 40 mile an hour winds blow the snow right back on the driveway. They had the “winter-in-Iowa-really-sucks” look on their faces.

When we woke up this morning, we were shocked to death that we still had church. We are all sick except Bob I think. The kids (and Bob) did a fantastic sharing time. We did an adorable puppet show acting out the Christmas story called “The Last Straw”. It was a HUGE hit! Now the kids (and Bob) are practicing their “Sunday band” which includes Tyler on the trombone, Bob on the trumpet, Kayla on the clarinet, and Marisa on the violin. They have been practicing Christmas music lately and they sound great. Maybe I can secretly tape them and post it on the blog?

By the way, we will soon be posting our end of year picture slide show. I know some of you have been waiting patiently for that!

A special Happy Birthday to Grandpa Ribera tomorrow. We have a fun week of relaxation and several movie marathons planned (like the mummy). I have decided I will need someone to physically tie me to the couch so I can force out some relaxation. We also wish you all a very Merry Christmas!! We hope you have a warmer one than us!!

No comments:

Utah- Part 4