Sunday, September 06, 2009

What a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it. ~Charles Dudley Warner

September 6, 2009

What a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it. ~Charles Dudley Warner

Who knew that such a mild-weathered summer would make our garden flourish? The tomatoes just keep on coming. Yesterday we canned 9 large jars (I think they are called quart size?) of spaghetti sauce. It was our first time trying this recipe and I admit I was a little nervous about trying something new. Bob found this GREAT recipe where you don’t even have to take the skins off! It just has to cook a long time to thicken. Our kitchen smelled heavenly! We still have more tomatoes. I will probably make more spaghetti sauce this week. Our raspberries have finally taken off too, but we are having to fight a major war with the Japanese Beetles.

Apparently there was some awesome football game last night? Bob had some friends over and I heard hours worth of hootin’ and hollerin’. I had to miss out because I was grading papers and doing lesson plans for hours. That’s all on top of making spaghetti sauce and the several hours we spent doing yard work. I look forward to the day when I can sit and say “Hmmm, I have nothing to do”! I dream that that day will be wonderful!

Once again, it was a busy week. It’s a good thing our family is color-coded or I would get everybody to the wrong place on the wrong day!

*Marisa received her academic letter she earned last year in an assembly this week. She has all-state auditions coming up this week. She is extra busy with homework and seminary which we found out will be starting 10 minutes earlier next month. Yikes!

*Kayla is super busy with the volleyball team. Games start this week. She is also taking French this year (Tyler is too in his world languages class) So I have 3 people speaking in a language I don’t understand. That could be bad. She also joined Jr.SODA(Students opposing drugs and alcohol) and is on the yearbook committee. She gets her braces off this month and couldn’t be more excited.

*Tyler is settling in well to middle school. He is in the band (playing trombone) He also joined Jr SODA and the fantasy book club. He has also been trying to put together a Battle of the Books team for the winter competition.

*Alayna is doing AWESOME this year and I think it might be because I am now home in the mornings. She is excited for school and loves that I can take her. She is enjoying gymnastics- she has a lot of talent, like Kayla. You wouldn’t ever want to see me do a cartwheel or try one of those flip thingy’s.

We have a VERY fun family Labor Day planned tomorrow. The weather has been GORGEOUS! We are going to go play tennis, have a BBQ, and have a Psych/Monk Marathon. We need to relax and have some family bonding time.

No comments:

Utah- Part 4