Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kilikina and Lopaka

"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." ~Unknown:

Bob and I got to go on a wonderful date last night. Friends of ours hosted a Hawaiian Couples Valentines Party. Everyone dressed up in Hawaiian attire (except us because we don’t own anything even remotely Hawaiian) and we ate Hawaiian Haystacks. We exchanged couples Valentines Gifts and then played the Newlywed game. Bob and I were tied for 1st place. On the tie-breaker question, I lost it for us because I couldn’t remember the exact make and model of Bobs first car, but we did MUCH better than we have in years past. I even learned that if Bob could tame any wild animal and make it his pet, he would choose a bear. I was way off…I guessed a shark! (Kilikina and Lopaka are our names in Hawaiian)

IMG_1123

(Picture taken by Tyler.  I look like an awesome Hawaiian Vampire!)

The worst part of Iowa? The Snow! The best part of Iowa? Snow Days!!

Seriously I have never needed a snow day like I did this week! There is just something about “hunkering down” while the soft snow falls outside and then cements itself to driveway, never to be removed until Spring. We just needed the break. I find myself praying very hard for snow days…very hard! Marisa’s friend , Alex, took her and Alayna to see the “Squeakquel” to celebrate the day off.

IMG_1090

IMG_1098

IMG_1099

(Who is that crazy person in the yellow jacket?)

Legos, Lightning Thief, and Cup stacking Club

The Star Wars Lego’s finally arrived! Tyler raced outside, ripped the box open, and screamed while running down the stairs, “I will be in my room for a very long time!!” He was. He has put together some of it and its pretty cool.

IMG_1092

Tyler and his friends, Joshua, Logan, and Hunter, all went to see Lightning Thief on Saturday. They actually got to try and go by themselves without an adult. Tyler said the movie was “so awesome” but they had a very serious discussion on the way home and found “100 ways in which the movie did not follow the book”. Boys are funny.

IMG_1094

(An update on Tyler’s arm from last week)

Tyler has also joined the Cup Stacking Club at school. Of all things he chooses to practice 24/7, he chooses that? Man! Is it annoying or what? With all that practice he is getting very good at it though! Too bad it can’t be super quiet!

IMG_1112

IMG_1114

Who plays with their food and who eats lettuce like it’s a pill?

You guessed Alayna right? Wrong! I have noticed lately like Marisa plays with her food. One day she was reenacting Adam and Eve with a giant broccoli (the tree), a mini broccoli (eve) and the giant one was holding a grape (as the fruit). Then another night, she used a tiny piece of pepperoni to go repelling and rock climbing on the bottom side of her pizza. I bet you money she will be a very entertaining date. Then, there’s Tyler…we told him he couldn’t leave the table until he ate some lettuce. He is boycotting all vegetables, claiming we are trying to kill him! So, after many tears, he tore up his lettuce into tiny, microscopic pieces, and swallowed them like pills with water. I kid you not!

IMG_1101

(The broccoli reenactment)

IMG_1109

Maybe not the greatest room reveal ever, but whatever…

We worked hard on Marisa’s room and its coming together. I still don’t have curtains up or the vinyl lettering up, but I am posting pictures just so you can see how its coming along. Please realize it is missing some of its homey touches.

IMG_1118

(View from the corner by the closet)

IMG_1119

(View from the door)

IMG_1120

(Another view from the door)

There’s nothing like New Beginnings to make you feel like you are old.

The girls had New Beginnings at the church this week. Each family was supposed to bring a picnic basket and blanket along with a dinner to enjoy the evening together. Our evening was a usual one, where we are all running around like chickens with our heads cut off! I had to go buy my running shoes (yes, I am running) while Tyler had to go buy a parachute for his science experiment and I also ran Battle of the Books. Anyway, I felt so guilty because we got a pizza and then a salad from Taco Bell. It was so tacky, our picnic basket was moldy, and I felt like a loser until the girls told me some moms were jealous of my “smart idea” of getting fast food. Whew! Way to come out on top there! Anyway, we had to sit for the whole program on the gym floor and man were we stiff the next day. Does that mean we are getting old? In the program, they showed the brand new personal progress books, and then showed the old ones and how they progressed through the years. I felt even more old when I realized one of the “oldest” books is the one that I had. Does that make me old too?

IMG_1104

IMG_1106

IMG_1107

IMG_1108

IMG_1111

Mozart tapped once again the source from which all music flows, expressing himself with a spontaneity and refinement and breath-taking rightness that has never since been duplicated.-- Aaron Copland, Copland on Music (1960)

I attribute my deep love for classical music to my parents unwavering determination to expose us to it. It used to drive me nuts when I was younger, but I truly love it now. Marisa was in the Masterworks Concert this week. (Bob will post some of it on the blog soon) It was a Phenomenal Concert and Dad, it sounded a lot like the Messiah you guys do. They played Mozart’s final requiem (pieces from the choruses) and it was the High School choir with the Chamber Orchestra. It really was fantastic and I just loved the whole thing.

The end of the 2nd Trimester is near!

This trimester ends this Thursday. Whoo-hoo! 2/3 of the school year is over.

IMG_1115

No comments:

Utah- Part 4