Sunday, February 21, 2010

Can an orchestra conduct itself?

February 21, 2010

An Orchestra can conduct itself??

Marisa had her concert this week, “Festival of the Orchestras”. It was fantastic as usual. For their first number (which we will post), the concert master started them with a head nod and they played the whole first piece flawlessly with no conductor!! So VERY awesome!! The second to last piece was incredible! I will have Bob post it, but I could barely get Marisa on the camera (Called the Festive Overture by Shostakovich) and then their last number was the Russian Sailors Dance by Gliere. I LOVE that piece!

Tyler and Kayla had their band concert this week too. Bob will post their concert pieces as well. Kayla’s favorite song was called, “High Water Mark” and Tyler’s was, “Cayuga Lake Overture”.

IMG_1179

The Top 10 Things You Learn as a Middle School Teacher

I figured with the end of the 2nd trimester finally arriving, I should share some things I have learned as a teacher. I was going to write my own, until I came upon these. I really couldn’t say it better:

1. You want to slap the next person who says, "Must be nice to work 8-3 and have your summers free."

2. You believe chocolate is a food group.

3. You believe the unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, "Boy, the kids are sure mellow today."

4. When you mention "vegetables," you are not talking about a food group.

5. You believe no one should be permitted to reproduce without having taught in a middle school for at least five years.

6. You think caffeine should be available to staff in IV form.

7. Meeting a child's parents instantly answers the question, "Why is this kid like that?"

8. You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac.

9. You can tell if it's a full moon without ever looking outside.

10. You have no time for a life from August through June.

Kayla is FINALLY free:

Kayla got the bottom braces off on Friday and is now braces free!! She is so excited. Two down, 2 to go.

IMG_1176

(This is the after picture.  She refused to let me post the before picture)

Is OCD contagious? Genetic? A curse?

Ok, so Alayna took a bath in my bathroom and when I came in later that night, look what I found. Seriously- what kid arranges their toys like this? Notice it is even arranged by color scheme. Poor kid!

IMG_1171

IMG_1172

(Showing you Patrick’s awesome green shirt…lol)

My Valentines flowers:

Here are my beautiful Valentines flowers. They were pink with a red velvet trim. Does Bob know me well or what? I’m also posting another picture from our date night that our hosts took.

IMG_1168

IMG_1169

Stake Youth Activity Night:

Marisa had an awesome Stake Youth Activity. They had classes on virtue and dating, an awesome dinner with Lasagna Soup and “really good cookies”, and a dance where she got to dance with some real hotties. I am posting pics I could find. Marisa also shared a joke with me that she made up and I couldn’t pass up: “ What happened to the family who lived in Iowa during the winter? They DIED!” There you go…

John Sullivan

(John Sullivan)

anders (2)

(Anders Larson)

austin (2)

(The one 2nd from the right)

Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas of awesomeness

Makes 6-8 servings

3-4-lb. chicken

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 Tbsp. oil

1 14-oz. can cream mushroom soup

1 14-oz. can cream chicken soup

1 cup sour cream

10-oz. can green enchilada sauce

4.5-oz. can peeled, diced green chilies

20 corn tortillas

3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Boil chicken. Shred meat and discard bones and skin.

2. Saute onion in oil in saucepan until translucent. Stir in soups, sour cream, green enchilada sauce, and chilies. Heat until warm.

3. Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces.

4. Layer half of sauce, chicken, tortillas, and cheese in slow cooker, alternating layers. Repeat, ending with cheese and sauce.

5. Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours, or High 2-3 hours.

A Mormon cartoon I found and had to share. You can find these cool cartoons at http://www.mormoncartoonist.com/

image

No comments:

Utah- Part 4