Sunday, February 20, 2011

A slice of heaven and a glimpse into my youth-Part 2

50s Youth activity and dance

Bob and I were asked to teach the triple step swing for a stake youth activity. You must know that we, um, have never done the triple swing before. So, we met on Thursday with the other couple who was going to teach and he taught us all the different moves. Then I hardly slep for 2 days and all I can hear in my head now is “rock step, triple step, triple step, rock step, triple step, triple step”. Kayla knew I was losing my mind when she caught me swing dancing with the soy milk in the kitchen!

IMG_3180

IMG_3203

IMG_3212

IMG_3181

IMG_3185

IMG_3186

The Stake Youth Activity was a 50s theme. All the girls made poodle skirts this month in YW. The whole place was decked out in giant dice, records, and poodle skirts. The activity opened with some fun warm up games. Then half the youth came to us for a 45 minute swing lesson and the other half went with the other couple. Then they switched and we got the other group of kids. Then the last 15 minutes we practiced all together.

Then, they had some speakers, including Marisa who did a wonderful job speaking about how the gospel and the YW programs helps to strengthen her family. We had a fun dinner with hamburgers and root beer floats.

IMG_3189

IMG_3195

IMG_3193

IMG_4318

IMG_3200

IMG_3198

I must say attending the dance brought back memories of my youth and the stake dances we used to attend. I must say that it has changed quite a bit!! I don’t recognize any of the line dances (Cotton-eyed Joe must be out? Or maybe it was just a Texas thing?) And they don’t really dance in couples for fast dances. They get in this ginormous circle (like a mosh pit almost) and jump up and down while pumping their fists. Weird. They do slow dance a little, but a lot also sit in the chairs around the room. The amazing thing is that they danced for hours!! Oh, to be young again….

stake dance 2011 (2)

stake dance 2011

IMG_3205

IMG_3206

IMG_3209

IMG_3210

IMG_3211

IMG_3213

IMG_3204

*Bob should be getting up several videos today of show choir, masterworks, and the orchestra concert.

1 comment:

The Borden Family said...

What? Did I not leave a comment last week? So sorry! That dance looked like alot of fun and those poodle skirts brought back some fun memories. I still have my skirt, you know! I hope it's been a good week for you...I love all the musical abilities in your family. You are well-rounded!

Utah- Part 4