Sunday, February 13, 2011

Feeling bad for penguins and my love/hate relationship with February!

Feeling bad for penguins and my love/hate relationship with February!

Feb 13

I feel so bad for penguins! Ok, so they have a wet suit resembling a tuxedo, but do you REALLY think they aren’t miserable? One only has to watch “March of the Penguins” to know how much standing in a snow storm, protecting an egg, has got to suck. Well, I was just thinking this week that if they knew that sunny, warm beaches exist, they would all hop off that ice and swim like crazy to paradise, even risking death by killer whale. I can almost relate…

image

This week we experienced an entire week of arctic temperatures. A few mornings when we left for school it was -26. That is just so wrong! Even Marisa’s car protested by refusing to turn on and work. I don’t blame it! I doth protest as well. I almost think we should vote and make snuggies an acceptable outfit to wear to work and school. All in favor? One of the primary students summed the week up beautifully when they were singing the snowman song today. When they finished every single primary child was “melted” on the floor except one. When asked why he was still standing, he said, “My snowman won’t melt!”

IMG_3146

(Um, thats the tennis court behind that wall of snow.  See the top part of the court??)

I almost cried when the temps warmed up to 40 today. Now how sad is that?? If it wasn’t Sunday, I would totally be out running! The snow is melting and the sun is shining!!

IMG_3156

My love for February

One reason I love February is because that is when Bob proposed to me. It was the 18th anniversary of that proposal on Thursday (Feb 10)! I still remember that day because it was cold and icy and when I walked over to his apartment, I slipped on the pavement and slammed my head onto the pavement. My bow even fell out. And unbeknownst to me, this entire event was witnessed by all of his friends watching out the window for me. The proposal was perfect! His group sang for me and he had flowers for me. Then they all left and he knelt on one knee to propose, to which of course I said yes! One of his roommates, Billy, came in during the actual proposal, eating a pot of food and said “Hey, where is everyone?” Oh the silly memories.

I also love Valentine’s Day! Maybe it’s because that’s around when Bob proposed or maybe it’s because I am a romantic deep down? Or maybe it’s because our last name is “Hart” or because I still love the color pink? This week one of my students said, “Don’t you think it’s funny that your last name is Hart and you are the sweetest teacher here?” Awww! I love it. Yesterday Bob bought me two dozen gorgeous roses. Today he presented me with a Serta memory foam pillow A.K.A. HEAVEN!

IMG_3153

IMG_3157

Then today, Tyler made us some cinnamon breadsticks and he made one set in my initials for Valentine’s Day. Awww!

IMG_3158

IMG_3159

(That blob isn't me!  Its a smiley face)

My hatred for February

For some reason February is one of the busiest months of the year. It seems like there is something scheduled every night. It’s not like I don’t like attending everything, it’s just that it makes me so tired. Here’s what we did this week:

1. BOB: The Battle of the Books competitions started this week. I help run several of the matches and I really love it.

2. Band concert: Tyler had a band concert on Tuesday night. He did a great job. We didn’t want to crawl over a bunch of people to get to some seats, so instead we hopped “over” the seats and I have a huge beautiful bruise on my knee to prove it.

3. Dentist appt: Happy to report no cavities this time for anyone. Whew!

4. New Beginnings: The girls had New Beginnings this week for YW. It was a beautiful program and even had a fun scavenger hunt. Both girls spoke about the personal progress program and what it means to them and they did a great job. Marisa is almost done with the program.

IMG_3137

IMG_3138

IMG_3139

5. Meds Mix-up: Bob picked up my four prescriptions. He came home frustrated because it totaled $200!! I found that one of the doctors had called in the wrong (expensive) prescription. So, I raced back to the store and they refused to take it back since we “left the store” with it!!! Argh!!!  Stupid medication!

6. Showchoir Concert: Ok, so I think we have found Tyler’s “thing”. We went to the showchoir concert on Thursday and all our jaws dropped as we watched Tyler. He was AMAZING! He was so animated and can dance like nobody’s business! He even had a huge solo!! Bob will be posting the videos soon so you can see for yourself!

IMG_3141

IMG_3143

(Tyler is on the far right in the black doing his solo)

IMG_3142

(Tyler is on the middle left in sparkly blue)

7. I’m kicking butt in my practicum!

8. Pinewood Derby: Ok, so the “dads” were wanting to get together to have their own pinewood derby. So, Bob built a car, but then got really sick, so he didn’t have time to give it too much pizzazz. But, it looked super sleek and was named “The Night Fury”. Bob won the loser’s bracket! Alayna got to release the cars each time. We were so glad we came to support because they had snacks!

IMG_3024

IMG_3145

IMG_3147

(Pinewood derby cheerleaders)

IMG_3150

IMG_3151

9. Bowling Meet: Kayla rocks! She got her 2 highest meet scores yet! Go Kayla! We are going to take her to get her fingers fit to her ball next week.

10. ACT: Marisa took the ACT Saturday morning. 5 hours! How gross is that? She did the writing portion too. She did really well on her practice tests so we will see how she does.

11. WPA: Marisa finally got up the nerve to ask David to WPA (Women Pay All). She put the message in blown up balloons and stuffed them in his car. He called 2 days later to tell her yes! It’s Feb 26. Want to hear something cool? She is using material from my prom dress to hand sew in an insert at the top of her dress to make it modest.

IMG_3155

IMG_3154

(sewing in the insert)

12. Showchoir Tour: Tyler went on the show choir “Sweetheart Tour”. They traveled to 4 retirement homes to perform and also performed in the local mall. He came back exhausted!!

13. Seminary Sunday: The girls participated in seminary Sunday today. Kayla sang “Praise to the Man” with the youth choir while Marisa accompanied them on the violin. It was so beautiful and I cried through the whole thing. I am so proud of them, their accomplishments, and their talents.

image

14. Kayla: Kayla was set apart today as the Mia Maid class president!

Misc silly pics:

IMG_3022

(Making cookies in a cape)

IMG_3088

IMG_3092

IMG_3128

IMG_3136

3 comments:

Angela said...

What a sweet husband and sweet kids you have. Yeah for Marisa, Kayla and Tyler and for NO cavities.

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Its not "The Night Fury". Its "Night Fury".
-Bob

The Borden Family said...

I had to read this entry in 2 shifts. There was too much to process...and I didn't have time until today to make comments. The show choir success doesn't surprise me. Glad to see everyone is finding a "happy place" where they are thriving....including you!

Utah- Part 4