Sunday, March 11, 2012

March comes in like a LION and some Pinterest Miss-terests

March comes in like a LION

Not in the weather sense, because the weather has been AMAZING this week. My tulips have risen their sleepy heads and my roses have started growing. But March did enter our home like a lion where germs are concerned! Good Gravy! We have all been sharing this hideous head cold that likes to hang around forever. Not fun! I think every kid missed about 2 days of school. Ugh! So, everyone is very ready for a break.

Spring Break FINALLY arrives

Spring Break is FINALLY here- for the kids at least. They can finally relax and its finally so gorgeous that we can workout outside. I think they have lots of game playing and fun planned, but what they don’t know is that I have a HUGE list of spring cleaning they are privileged to help me with! Bwaahaahaa!

Alayna lost another tooth. Poor Tyler gets 2 teeth pulled tomorrow.

DSCF0245

Alayna has also started an in home restaurant to make money for her savings.  I think its great!

DSCF0241

Temple Trip, Stake Dance, and Orange Leaf

Marisa, Kayla and Tyler got to go on the youth temple trip to Nauvoo yesterday. Tyler was sweet and brought me home some fudge. The night the girls attended the youth dance and went out to the really cool new dessert place called Orange Leaf. I guess you get all the ice cream and toppings you want and you pay by the weight of it. Sounds perfect to me!

The shelf

Tyler finished his tech project and I was so impressed with what he made. He wanted to do a shelf like Kayla made to display things he makes and likes. Bob helped him get it up yesterday. I’m just grateful he didn’t lose any limbs in the process.

DSCF0242

He also made a homemade siren in tech. Lucky me…a constant police siren following me around all day. Just what I need.

DSCF0240

Movies

United 93- Last week we watched this with the kids. I feel its important for them to learn about things like this that are an important part of our history. It was a good movie and sad, but opened up some great discussions about what happened that fateful day.

Abduction- This was a great action-packed film and Taylor Lautner was great in it. Even Marisa, who hates action flicks, liked this one.

Ice Quake- ok mom this is another VERY fun natural disaster flick. We watched it with Tyler and Alayna last night and loved it.

Hunger Games- T shirts arrived this week. Bring on the fun! Midnight show March 22 11:59PM.

Books

Obviously, Ive been reading some good books lately. Here are some suggestions for fun.

Future of Us- This is from the same author of “13 reasons why”. I loved this book and those of us who grew up way before facebook even existed can truly relate to it. Warning: some of the content may be a little too adult for middle school.

Death Cure- This is the 3rd book in the Maze Runner. I still like it. The series is intriguing and action packed, but I do like Hunger Games better. I’m only half one done with this book so I don’t know how it ends yet but a new “prequel” to the series comes out in August.

The Deadly Sister- I LOVE mysteries and this one was great. Obviously, when ita about teenagers it’s a little less mature than adult novels, but this had a great twist at the end.

Pinterest Miss-terests

I guess after a few weeks of solid pinterest hits, there had to be some misses right? This week was a tough week with everyone sick and me working extra shifts.

1. I tried to make BYU brownies. Got home and decided I was too tired to make from scratch, so I made the brownies from a box. Then, when went to make the famous mint frosting I found we were out of mint extract and some geek didn’t put it on the grocery list. Then I went to make the ganache and found out we were out of the whipping cream. So it ended up being boxed brownies with green non-mint frosting and nobody ate it but me. Booo!

2. I came home one night after working 9 hours straight. The plan was chicken parmigian and I had no energy left to make it, so we just cooked up the chicken and ate that. Talk about boring.

3. I tried the sock bun. It didn’t work for me- probably cause my hair is too short for it.

Some successes:

1. I tried the 3 bun hairdo and it looked so pretty today. The picture however doesn’t really show it well- instead it look like if you add an egg and some yarn it could pass for a bird nest.

DSCF0243

2. We made home made frosty’s in our ice cream maker and they were to DIE for. Definitely a hit!

DSCF0239

No comments:

Utah- Part 4