Sunday, February 20, 2005

February 20, 2005

February 20, 2005
Today was an interesting day. I got to teach Tyler’s primary class. It only served to reaffirm why I would never teach 1st grade. They were the wiggliest bunch I have ever seen. I could actually write a book now on how many ways a 6 year old can wiggle and position themselves in two hours! During class I was having a hard time getting them to use their indoor voices which, evidently, they have never heard of. So, as I was coloring my coloring page I calmly said, "Too bad you guys are being so noisy, I guess I will have to eat all the treats myself". They all stopped coloring and said "You have treats?". That solved it- we had silence the rest of the class. I am never above resorting to bribery!
We had a good and busy week. Thanks to all of you who gave us feedback on our website. Each of the kids have now made their own webpage which you can link from our family home page. They have some fun surveys on them and are excited to see what people have to say. Our site still has a few glitches, so be patient with us while we fix them all.
Bob and I were asked to be the main speakers at an Enrichment Night being held on March 11. We are a little nervous about it, but hope it will go ok.
As usual, we had some interesting experiences with Alayna this week. I will spare you and only share two. First, I was on my treadmill and smelt something burning. I ran upstairs to find Alayna sitting on the counter by the toaster which had smoke billowing out of it. She smiled and said "I cooking". I said "what?!?!?!" And she said "I cooking piece of toast". Sure enough, she had pushed a stool up to the counter, hopped on, put a piece of toast in and turned the oven on to 500 degrees. The toast was pitch black and she was so proud. Hard to yell at her when she was proud of making her own toast. Then yesterday, she was in the bath playing with her water symphony. (They are little colored dolphins, with water rings and if you bop them on the head they make sounds). I went to go do something and when I came back, she had matched every dolphin with its correct colored ring. I was so in shock- how did she know how to do that? No one had ever shown her. It was nice to see her "energy" being used in a positive way.
On Friday, Marisa and Kayla were invited to Olivia’s (kayla’s friend) birthday party. They went to a fun place in the mall called "Girls Rule". They got their hair and makeup done, took pictures, and got all sorts of fun stuff to do their nails, etc. I am including pics this week of when they came back. Then Olivia spent the night. I tell you though, they are so pretty that we will have to watch them closely when they get to be teenagers!
Well, that’s about all we have to report this week. We hear Torrance got pounded again by rain! Maybe it was a good thing we left after all! Our love to everyone. Have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't ever expect a small boy to be quiet around his fellow troublemakers. And sanity calls for Treats!! I love the site, and the quick access to pics. Mmmm...popcorn.

Utah- Part 4