Sunday, May 07, 2006

May 7- Happy Birthday to me!

May 7, 2006

Happy Birthday to me!!! Yep, that’s right, I turned 35. Amazing how quickly the time pasts. Next year it will be 18 years since I graduated from high school and only 5 until my first child does. Yikes! Bob bought me an intercom system for the house. It is so cool. Now I don’t have to yell when it time for everyone to come to dinner or go to bed. It is an absolutely beautiful sunny day and I have so much to share about what has happened here with our family the past few weeks.

On Monday, the kids didn’t have school. So, I decided it would be fun to invite some friends and go to see “Ice Age II”. However, when we got there, it was sold out. So, we decided to go to a show starting about 45 minutes later and guess how much it cost us to go?? It was only $6!! I guess it is the theaters 100 year anniversary so all tickets were $1. So, we decided to stay and see “Wild” as well. We haven’t been to the movies in forever, so this was extra fun. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Ice Age II, but Wild, although cute, was exactly like Madagascar. Anyway, for my birthday this month, Bob will be taking me to see the movie I have been waiting forever to see- “The Da Vinci Code”. I am so excited. I really enjoyed reading that and Angels and Demons. In fact, I am now reading a book called “Chasing Vermeer”, which has been called the Da Vinci code for kids.

Anyway, also on Monday, we finally got Alayna in to see the ENT doctor. You would NOT believe the size of wax he pulled out of Alayna’s ear. I have no idea how that beast fit in there. It is no wonder to me now why she kept saying for weeks: my ear hurts, I can’t hear you, I cant hear the TV, etc. We saw an audiologist right after and Alayna finally passed the hearing test with flying colors. She had me very worried. She is a stubborn little bugger, but causing less disasters around the home. She loves to play educational computer games and play in the sand box- thank heavens for gorgeous Spring weather, huh?

Tyler is loving basketball and they won their game yesterday 48-26. He is testing for his orange belt in Tae kwon do this Saturday. We will be traveling to Clinton, Iowa for him to do that. We also got a letter from the school this week saying he has been admitted into the gifted and talented program! That is so cool! His class is studying the rainforest right now, so he is always coming home with cool facts to share with us.

Kayla had her last day of math club this week. I can hardly believe we only have one month of school left. She loves school so much. That’s where my inspiration for teaching comes from- seeing the difference great teachers make in children’s lives.

I took Marisa to get her hair cut this week for her birthday (which isn’t until the 19th). We found out her hair has the same curl mine does. It looks so adorable now, however she looks a bit older, like 14 now. We finally got her college for kids schedule. She will be taking French, Edible art history, and Sherlock Homes (mystery and forensic science, etc). She is so excited. She takes the classes every day for 2 weeks during the summer. She is also getting ready to attend girls camp for the first time and is thrilled to be going this year.

Bob is enjoying the class he is taking for work- ground school (learning to fly an airplane). I finally got a meeting time with the Principal of Oakridge (K-8) for May 15. I am nervous, but hopefully he can give me a good idea of the things I need to be working on before I interview in February next year.

On Friday, we went to the ward Fiesta. It was a bit chaotic, but fun. The kids were able to try and hit a pinata. Tyler ended up hitting the final blow and shooting candy all over the gym. He just sat there with the mask on while all the kids went wild. I don’t think he or Alayna realized there was actually candy in the thing. What a surprise that was! We escaped before they started the Mexican hat dance.

On Saturday, the missionaries came over to help us with our yard. Our lawn has been taken over by the enemy of all lawn enemies- the dandelion! Our lawn seems to be the only one on the block affected. Maybe because we are the only ones who don’t use professional lawn people. So, we had to distribute weed killer and fertilizer, plug up all the bunny holes, plant our garden (squash, tomatoes, beans, onions, strawberries, broccoli, etc), mow the lawn, cut down the weeds by the fence, plaster the yard with bunny deterrent, etc. It was a long yard day, but now it all looks so nice. We are really hoping this garden flourishes this summer.
Until next week....

No comments:

Utah- Part 4