Saturday, August 20, 2011

Penguins, Toga, and Back into the Swing

August 21, 2011

Back into the Swing of Things

School started on Wednesday this week. Everybody is now fully back into the swing of things and the school year routines (booo!) But everyone seems to like their classes and their teachers so here is for hoping it will be an amazing year!!

IMG_4378

IMG_4379

IMG_4381

IMG_4380

“Your children don’t need to attend seminary when you think that Satan is no longer going to try to tempt them.” (Todd Murdock)

The early mornings have been the hard part. Seminary also started this week. I love the above quote the seminary teacher shared this week in our meeting.

Penguins

Before school started, Alayna and I went on a Mommy/Daughter date to see “Mr. Popper’s Penguins”. We LOVED it! So very cute. We decided since everyone else got to see tons of movies over the summer (Harry Potter, X-men, etc) and we didn’t, we deserved a fun day out. We had a great time!

IMG_4374

Budget FHE and Murphy’s Law?

We had a very fun FHE on Monday about our budget. Bob even made a PowerPoint that totally rocked! We discussed what we can each do to save money. We need a savings as kids start going into college.

Well right after that meeting all these things happened.

IMG_4375

IMG_4376

1. Alayna lost 3 library books!! How is that possible? I have scoured this house from top to bottom. If you know me, you know I am organized and there is no place for those books to hide. So, I have decided some dumb book fairy came one night and STOLE them! So, now we have to pay for them.

2. Marisa was on her way to violin lessons, when she went on this narrow street and scraped against a car because the car coming the other way was too close and was going to hit her. I’m proud of her display of integrity as she left a note on the ladies car. We got a call back and the estimate was $1000!!! Really? For a literal scrape?? Idiots! Thank the heavens for car insurance right?

3. Kayla was in a panic because she couldn’t find her soft cover seminary scriptures. So, I ordered her new ones and the 1st day of seminary she found the seminary teacher had hers. Good thing Tyler can use it next year right?

4. You don’t want to know how much school supplies and school registration cost. Ugh. It never ends.

Me days

The absolute best part of this week is what I like to call “ME” days. Meaning I actually had time just for me!

On Wednesday I went clothes shopping. I didn’t find everything I was looking for but I found another pair of jeans that fit. Go me! Then I went and did something that has been on my bucket list since I was a teenager. I actually went in to have my makeup done and get a makeup lesson!!! I know it sounds strange but it’s something I have always wanted to do. You should have seen the face of the lady who did it. You could basically read “How is this lady 40 and she has no clue how to do her own makeup??” on her face. Well, I sucked up my pride and did it anyway. Finally I have makeup that is “my colors” and now I actually know how to put it on. So, yeah me! Then, I went out to lunch with Bob at the HuHot Mongolian Grill. Then I took the kids out for ice cream to celebrate our new year at school. We also had to go to Wal-Mart to get a “manly” lunch bag because apparently when you are a boy in 8th grade, the Disney Princess or Tinker bell lunchboxes just aren’t cool. What?! Such a great fun day!

IMG_4383

IMG_4384

On Thursday, I kicked butt. I had this huge list of things I’ve been wanting to do and accomplished the entire thing. I even got to….paint my fingernails and toenails. Even put a top coat on! So exciting!! Again, go me!

On Friday, I deep cleaned the house. I even got to scrub the kitchen floor with a sponge and toothbrush. Yes, an actual toothbrush. It’s been needing to be done for years but I never have time. I have also been putting each kid’s awards and certificates they have earned throughout their lifetime into a 3 ring binder with page protectors. Yes, I am that awesome.

Spaghetti Sauce, Homemade Granola Bars, and Canned Lettuce

We got an awesome food vacuum sealer, our new favorite toy and way to save money (we hope). We have started vacuuming our leftovers in jars and so far it works like a charm. On leftover night everyone just opens the jar of what they want and it’s fresh!

IMG_4386

IMG_4385

I heard about canning or vacuum sealing your lettuce in jars so we decided to try that too. It just keeps it fresher longer than it would sitting at the bottom of your fridge, not for long term canning.

IMG_4393

Our garden is doing great and we had enough to do canned spaghetti sauce this weekend. We also wanted to try and make homemade granola bars and seal them as part of our money saving budget plan. Sometimes we totally rock!

IMG_4387

IMG_4389

IMG_4395

IMG_4388

(My “Hart” tomato!)

IMG_4396

IMG_4391

IMG_4394

TOGA

The girls went to the bog back to school dance at the high school. It’s called Toga but basically you and your friends dress up with a theme, like a costume party. I guess one of their friends chose nerds, so that’s what they went with. I think they make super cute nerds, right?

IMG_4414

IMG_4409

IMG_4416

IMG_4417

1 comment:

The Borden Family said...

Wow...lots of fun stuff going on already? Good luck with the beginnings of school.

Utah- Part 4