Sunday, August 10, 2014

Summer is over :(

Well, once again summer has flown by so quickly that we barely knew it was here.  Personally I could use another month.  To our credit though, we accomplished a TON!

We worked on building up our food storage because I keep reading apocalyptic books we have been asked to.  We are now prepared BUT we aren't telling anyone we have it.  Bwaahaahaa…

003

Our garden was pathetic this year.  We got a bowl and a half of gross, spotted, ugly tomatoes.  We hung our head as we had to go buy roadside tomatoes so we could make salsa this year.  So sad.  And so far no apples.  But somehow we have become a farm for 2 bunnies (one is the baby we saved!) and Vinnie the Varmint has returned.  They eat our weeds, carrots, and lettuce.

DSCF3157

As a final goodbye to summer, I took the kids to see “Guardians of the Galaxy” and we just loved it!  I am in love with baby Groot!  Marisa we put this on your list as a must see when you get back.

Bob and I had a wonderful date day yesterday.  I went to massage therapy which is saving me!  Then we went to Panera's for lunch and went to see “Into the Storm” which is like Twister on steroids and we loved it!  It’s so realistic and terrifying all at the same time.  Makes me take sirens here a little more seriously!

We also enjoyed getting ready for shark week by watching Sharknado 2.  There are no other movies like this, people!  A special thanks to mom for the cool book and tshirt- my kids will love it!!

006

020

(The shark ate Tyler…)

We spent some time at the high school library this week.  There is so much to do but it is looking so much better!  I did a TON of work here at home while I watched a marathon of “The Killing”.  It has been nice to relax (kind of) and feel accomplished.

025

Also, I got the bad news that ALL of my funding for the middle school library was cut.  ALL OF IT!  I was devastated.  How could they do that after all my hard work?  My  extended family jumped in, got the word out on facebook, and people I don’t even know started sending in books and asked me to create a wish list on Amazon.  I just wanted to cry.  I was so grateful for their support and kindness.  Then, I made a grant proposal to the Anamosa foundation and they granted my proposal, which means now I have some funds to work with.  Then the head of the foundation asked me to come to come speak and present at their next meeting and request funds for the high school. Yikes!

023

For those of you who don’t know, I was also contacted by the president of the Eastern Iowa Reading Council and asked to be a presenter for their conference in October.  I am extremely nervous. 

Well, this week I start back to school and Tyler starts marching band.  He will be super busy with that and show choir that starts this week too!  He was “kidnapped” this week to be initiated into the top show choir.  I blew the surprise because I thought it was 4:30AM not PM.  Oh well.  Only 4 weeks until Kayla starts at BYU-I and Alayna will have her 12th birthday in 3 weeks and join the young women program.  Where has the time gone people??

I got my new shirt and new plaque so bring on the new year!!!

IMG_20140809_163007615

No comments:

Utah- Part 4