Sunday, August 23, 2020

We didn't know it was coming...

So, I was writing my last post on August 10,2020.  Complaining and sad. I didn't want to go back to work yet and was tired of the virus and all the uncertainty.  I never finished that post...

It was a beautiful, sunny. normal day.  I did the treadmill and then Bob and I did our 20 minute walk around the block at 10AM like we always do. And I complained about how I didn't want to go to work- especially since they were having us come IN person for PD and we had to bring our own lawn chair since no furniture has arrived yet. 

Later I was reading my scriptures when I saw a weather alert. I asked Bob if he knew we were supposed to get a storm and he hadn't heard anything either.  The alert was different than normal- it said a very strong wind storm was coming and we needed to get to the basement. Then it said- we aren't kidding- this is a bad storm.  Get in the basement. So we look outside and don't see anything except a few clouds. Then the sirens go off and of course, we are baffled.  There's no tornado. Really no storm.  Then the wind picked up and all hell broke loose.

I know we should have been in the basement but with so much destruction, it was hard to tear ourselves away. I have truly never seen anything like it.  The wind sounded like a freight train.  I started taping some of it just to show the kids. Then Bob said, "Um...we lost our fence." We watched our apple trees fall, our front tree crack, our pine trees uproot, our gates fly, and almost our entire fence come down. We watched roof tiles, trash cans, and crazy things fly through the air.  It would get bad, we would run to the basement and watch through the windows, then it would seem to be over, we would come back up and it was still going.  It went straight for over 45 minutes.  Again, I have never seen anything like it in my life.




 

I remember posting about how badly it hit us and how much we lost- not realizing that out of all of Cedar Rapids and Marion- we were the lucky ones.













No comments:

Utah- Part 4