Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Lightening Thief with a Chance of Meatballs and Titans?

   

January 17, 2010

“How to tell if you are a real teacher”

Real teachers never sit down without first checking the seat of the chair.

Real teachers know the best end of semester lesson plans can come from Blockbuster.

Real teachers cheer when they hear April 1 does not fall on a school day.

Real teachers have never heard an original excuse.

Real teachers buy Excedrin and Advil at Sam's.

Real teachers hear the heartbeats of crisis; always have time to listen; know they teach students, not subjects; and they are absolutely non-expendable.

I wish people really knew how hard we teachers work. I literally spent 12 hours straight yesterday working on this 3 day observation. Make a point to listen very carefully on January 27 at 1:20 and you will hear my universal scream of relief. Tell me if you hear it!

Children know more than we think they do:

Lately Alayna has not wanted to go to school. I suspect it’s because her awesome teacher will be going on maternity leave soon. The other day I asked her why she doesn’t want to go and she said, “Well, you don’t like to go to school and I don’t ask you what the heck is wrong with you…” Touché my dear, touché!

IMG_0924

(Alayna at “Great to be 8”)

IMG_0920

Cosmic pinball:

Tyler had his school science musical this week and I got to see the whole thing. It was awesome! He was very animated and dramatic. I am REALLY hoping he tries show choir next year. Hopefully Bob can post some of it that I taped.

The Lightening Thief with a Chance of Meatballs and Titans?

We watched “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” and it was absolutely adorable!! I can’t wait to see it again. I think the kids movies lately have become so awesome! The movie “Up” was wonderful too! How do they keep coming up with such great stuff?

 

Tyler has been whizzing through the “Lightening Thief” series. He sent me to the store to get the rest of the series, but they didn’t have the last book. He is a few pages from finishing the 3rd one and begs me on a daily basis to read the first one. We just saw the trailer for the movie today and we are TOTALLY stoked. We also saw the trailer for the new “Clash of the Titans” and we are so excited!! Anyone want to go with us?

IMG_0926

Electric violin?

Marisa was asked to perform with the high school show choir this week. She got to stand on a box, on the risers, and play an electric violin! How cool is that?? She played for their concert on Thursday night and their big regional show choir competition on Saturday. I heard she was awesome! Wish we had gotten a picture to show you.

IMG_1023

Now who’s hogging the art genes?

It’s no secret that I didn’t get any of the art genes. My brother, Jonathan, hogged them all. My students mock me on a daily basis because even my stick people are crooked. Kayla just finished up her art class at school and I was surprised by how awesome her artwork was. I have taken some pictures to show you. I see another emerging artist…

IMG_1019

IMG_1018

(Kaylas art)

Saturday is a “friend day”, it’s the day we “get out of moms hair” day!

As I said before, I worked 12 hours straight on work stuff. So, I let everyone have a friend or 2 over. Kayla had two friends over. They made brownie bites, “wordles”, and makeovers. Tyler had a friend over and they played computer games and wii. Alayna had a friend over to play barbies, dress up, and hide and go seek. The funniest thing was when Tyler was playing with them and he couldn’t find them anywhere. He was getting really frustrated and then Brie’s mom came over and we couldn’t find the girls anywhere!! After a good 10 minutes, we found them in the garage hiding in Bob’s car. How’s that for a first impression with a mom you have never met before. “Um, I think your kid is here somewhere but I cant find them…” Yikes!

(

IMG_0998

(Kayla with friends Katie and Morgan)

IMG_1026

(Wordle)

24 starts tonight!!! Woot woot!!!

2 comments:

Kayla Cox said...

good job mother. i really appreciate your blogs. keep up the goood work! woop woop!

Angela said...

Love your background, I almost want to copy it for my blog. Love your posts too.

Utah- Part 4