Sunday, January 31, 2010

Living Like a Foo

January 31, 2010

Cause I’m a Foo…

One day we were talking about how we were going to switch rooms around and rearrange. I told Kayla this was her chance to get her own room. She said she didn’t want her own room because someone may sneak in and kill her. She must think Alayna has some sweet Ninja skills and could protect her should any harm arise. When I asked why she is so worried she blurted out really fast, “Cause I’m a Foo!” She must have comedic timing because it was hilarious and we all just about died laughing (including her.) I’m still not exactly sure what a “foo” is, but she moved downstairs to share a room with Alayna. Now you know why we have see-through shower-liners too!

IMG_1062

(Making Valentines)

Keep it secret that I am a teacher:

Apparently this whole month, I have been spelling “Lightning Thief’ wrong. How embarrassing. I should have realized my mistake, but lo, I was so caught up in the beauty and magic of the book, that looking up the correct spelling was impossible. Yep, that’s how it was…and I’m sticking to it!

Story of my life:

Way to go, Kayla (oh you frozen jello you!) on updating your blog! I would say I have to cease and desist with the teenager jokes, BUT one teen did not update her blog which makes her fair game this week (plus its fun cause she is such a good sport). Marisa’s new phrase is “Story of my life” followed by a massive eye roll. She can fit it into almost every situation. We made a secret game this week to see how many times she did it- way too many, so I lost count. The funniest one, though, was when we were at choir and sang this warm up called “Iknow…Iknow, I know, I know”. She looked right at me and said “Story of my life!” Goofball!

The sweet taste of success

Did anyone here my universal scream?? What a relief to have it all done. All my observations were a HUGE success! Unfortunately I didn’t have a camera with me when I did my jig of joy. Picture, if you will, a leprechaun doing an Irish jig while simultaneously doing the running man and cabbage patch and chanting “I’m done! I’m done! I’m done!!!”

There are still honest people left in the world?

To celebrate, we went as a family to Pancheros for dinner and Cold Stone for dessert (even though it was almost -15 with the wind-chill.) Apparently, while we were eating, a lady hit Bob’s car and almost ripped off the front bumper. (It looks like its hanging by a few threads!) Anyway, I guess she waited in her car for almost an hour trying to figure out who the driver was to give them her information! She could have very easily left and no one would have known. I was so impressed that she honest and actually stayed around to give us her information. Marisa was the one most devastated. It will be her car in a few months- you should have seen her face! (Picture the boy from Home Alone when he put aftershave on)

IMG_1065

IMG_1067

OCD on Steroids

Then we entered the next phase of our lives which can only be described as OCD on steroids. I am really thinking our kids will need therapy for years to come after living with me. We started on Tyler’s room. It took about 1 ½ days. We rearranged and cleaned every square inch. He is now rocking a pretty spectacular Bionicle display and is LOVING his new Avatar poster he got.

We spent the weekend changing the girls room, not just rearranging but actually exchanging rooms. (Yes, more proof that I am steadily losing it). It made sense to move Kayla and Alayna downstairs since the room is bigger and move Marisa upstairs to the warmer room since on most days she drags herself upstairs for seminary looking like Frosty the Snowman! Everyone is thrilled with the moves (except for my back.) You will HAVE To tune in next week for the great unveil of the girls rooms. For now, you can enjoy the totally awesome boys room.

IMG_1050

(A wordle made for Tyler by Kayla)

IMG_1052

IMG_1049

Ever experienced the “awkward pause” in a situation?

Alayna had her open house at school this week. We had to stand in line to get our scrumptious spaghetti dinner. We were chatting and then there was that long awkward pause when no one has anything entertaining to say, when all of the sudden Marisa made this weird hand gesture and posed. We all stood there staring at her, wondering if we should claim her or pretend we had no idea what family she belonged to. She said that’s the new thing…if there’s an awkward pause, then you make one of the “awkward” signs and it gets the conversation rolling again. So, being the awesome mother that I am, I made them pose for the camera so you can learn what to do should this situation arise. You’re welcome!

IMG_1054

(The awkward turtle)

IMG_1055

(The awkward turkey)

IMG_1058

(The awkward palm tree)

IMG_1059

(The awkward snail)

IMG_1060

(the awkward baby turtles)

IMG_1056

(Last, but not least, my very favorite…the awkward starfish!)

Mom’s Brag Corner: (Although this could be a weekly feature, I will try to refrain from too much of that annoying motherly bragging. But I cant really help it when my kids are so cool!)

*Marisa was once again chosen for the High School Metro Orchestra. It is made up of the top kids from each high school in the CR metro area. They had an amazing concert last night which we taped and hope to get posted on the blog. Man is she getting good! The Brahms piece was my favorite! Her conductor looks exactly like that cartoon conductor with the huge grey curly hair and so animated it was like watching him dance. He was so cool!

*Kayla got the 2 most coveted pages of the year book! She is so excited and has put together some really cool stuff. When it comes out in June I will post them online.

*Tyler finished off the Lightning Thief series. (notice the correct spelling this time!) That kid reads so fast. It’s nice to know someone is inheriting some of my finer traits. I also bought him the “Demigod Files” and “Percy Jackson and The Olympians: the Official Guide”. And he is almost done with those too. Now if I could only made household chores as intriguing…

*As I mentioned earlier, we had Alayna’s open house this week. She is quite the story writer. I am sure her teacher thinks our family is full of psychos. She also auditioned for a singing part and speaking part in her upcoming school musical thingy. I was so proud of her for being so brave. We will let you know when she gets the results.

IMG_1061

*Bob and Marisa were the lucky speakers at church today and both did a fantastic job! You need to get a hold of Bob to ask him about the funny joke he started his talk off with!

3 comments:

The Borden Family said...

I hate to point out that thief is misspelled on his wordle. How do you make those anyway?
This is great inspiration for the room redo we want to do this summer. AND great ideas for awkward pauses....thanks for the ideas! We spent our snow days doing puzzles and playing tag...and watching season 3 of gilligan's island. absolutely nothing productive.

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Lol! Thats hilarious! You can do all sorts of wordles on http://www.wordle.net/. We do it at school a lot. You had snow days without us? Crazy!

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Forgot to add that Marisa was 9th chair in the 1st violins! So amazingly awesome! Way to go, Marisa!

Utah- Part 4