Sunday, November 14, 2010

Murphy’s Law and how we proved it this week!

Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". I started out this week with a bang:

And Kris came tumbling after

After choir on Sunday, as we headed to the car, I took a trip. A trip into a hole, down a hill, and ended in a not so graceful face plant! It’s been years since I tripped like that. Thank goodness only Tyler saw me. It would have been worse if other choir members had seen me or if I had broken something. The only thing that was damaged was my pride.

ER

On Sunday, Alayna started complaining that her ear really hurt. I figured it was part of a cold she seemed to have and that it would be ok. She kept complaining and by dinner she was tears. We couldn’t get her to stop crying, so I chose to take her to the ER and I’m glad we did. We were there for quite a while Sunday evening and they said she had a really bad ear infection. They gave her some ear drops that numbed her ear and finally relieved the pain and gave her antibiotics. Why can’t we keep this kid well?

You had a what?

Tyler had a band concert on Monday night. I decided to stay home with Alayna since we had spent the night before at the ER. I received a text from Bob shortly after they left saying that Tyler had 2 solos!! We had no idea and even forgot the video camera. He did a great job! When I asked him why he didn’t tell me he had solos, he said that he knew I needed to be home with Alayna since she was sick and he didn’t want me to feel bad about missing it. Bless his heart!

IMG_2723

(Alayna’s playdough caterpillar that she made at activity days)

Squishy Fingers

At basketball practice this week, Tyler totally jammed his finger. It was very swollen and turned black and blue. We had to wrap it up for several days and he had to play a game with it all bruised. His team lost one game this week and won one.

IMG_2705

Again?

The night of the band concert Tyler wasn’t feeling well and ended up staying home sick the next two days. He is doing much better.

IMG_2721

(Tyler with his new glasses)

Accident

On Wednesday, the girls had Young Women In Excellence. We picked up their friend, Justine, on the way so we went a different way to church. We saw an accident that looked like it had just happened (with no police yet). As we passed it, I noticed that one of the cars had Jessica and Lauren (girls from our ward) in it. So, we stopped to make sure they were ok. I was shocked they weren’t injured because the entire front of their car was bashed in. I think they were scared more than anything. I was so happy they were ok!

IMG_2718

IMG_2719

IMG_2720

The YWIE was beautiful. The talks were great, the décor was beautiful, and the dessert topped it all off.

Great way to spend a day off

So, we didn’t have school Friday for a teacher comp day (But the high school did haha) Anyway, I took Tyler and Alayna to go Christmas shopping and have lunch with Bob. Tyler used some of his birthday money to buy a new tennis racquet, balls, grips, and wristbands. He was so excited! Then I spent the most of the afternoon at the walk-in clinic for me. Oh joy!

Whose idea was that anyway?

So, Kayla was given a huge project this week. They were assigned a battle during WWII, had to make it into an allegory, then create a book by making the story into Dr. Suess rhyme. It had to be at least 16 pages long. She started at noon Saturday and by 8:00 she was in tears because she was so frustrated and tired. I sat down with her at 8:00 and we worked our butts off and finally finished the book at 1AM. I need to have a chat with that teacher who assigned it…

IMG_2770

IMG_2772

To top it all off

We woke up to snow flurries this morning. I guess winter is officially here  AND this newsletter is late because my computer crashed…

Events that defied Murphy’s law

●Alayna did such a fantastic job at her musical!! She had two speaking parts and memorized them and did a wonderful job on them. She even got an acting part in the school “food fight”. Bob taped the program if anyone wants to see it.

IMG_2711

IMG_2715

IMG_2716

●So Kayla has started “accompanying” our lives with the clarinet. She plays whatever you are doing or the mood. I swear she plays “Jaws” for me….

●Kayla ran the mile run in 7:58 at school. I realized that we must have been holding her back at the Growl Prowl, because she could have easily run it in ½ the time Marisa and I did. I think next year she will leave us in the dust.

●Tyler passed the sacrament for the 1st time today. He was so nervous but he did great!

●Bob got a new calling today! He is the Teacher’s Quorum Advisor in the YM. I think he will be awesome.

●We opened an email for Alayna. She was feeling left out because she wasn’t getting email. So, in case anyone would like to say hi her new email is: cattygirl@mediacombb.net

●The best part of the week was that the boys in my family must have known it has been a bad week, so yesterday, while I was asleep, they went and bought me flowers and chocolate. I thought that was the sweetest thing ever!

IMG_2726

IMG_2724

I guess the lesson learned this week for me is to have gratitude for those things in our lives that we sometimes take for granted.

PS- The flour game

IMG_2754

IMG_2751

IMG_2759

IMG_2769

2 comments:

CinnaPatty said...

Ooh! The flour game looks fun! Do tell how to play?
I'm glad I got to read about the big project because that conversation was left hanging at church...that happens.
May this week be better than last!

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Flour Game:
You pack flour into a cup. Then you put a plate on top and flip it over. Then put a quarter on top of your flower tower. Then you take turns using a knife to slice a piece of the tower off. If the quarter falls after you slice it, then you have to retrieve the quarter out of the flour with your mouth. We did it for FHE once and the kids have loved it ever since.

Utah- Part 4