Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mahogany Bay (Roatan)- Best Day Ever!!!- Part 1

BUCKET LIST: Exhilarating Zip line through an incredibly beautiful rainforest in Mahogany Bay, play with a monkey, swim in the white sands beach of a beach resort- CHECK!

This morning we pulled into Mahogany Bay!  This beautiful island is part of Honduras and used to be the hideout for a pirate!  It is stunningly beautiful!

IMGP0421

We took a tour bus through the island, which is mostly rainforest.  Here is the overlook on the southern part of the island.  We met a brother and sister who were from Utah! He went to Utah State. They took this pictures for us.

IMGP0423

Then our bus driver took us ON THE BEACH in the BUS!  I'm not kidding.  It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen.  He went through some of the water too!  Just crazy! 

Then we went to go zip lining.  Now, I have never done anything like this so you can imagine how scared I was, especially since I am deathly afraid of heights along with not being in control.   But I decided this is my chance to be daring, to live a little, and to check stuff off my bucket list.  So, they gave us a helmet and strapped on the gear.  They said this is the absolute BEST zip line in all of central America).

IMGP0426

We met an amazing couple who are mormons and are farmers that live in La Salle, Utah.  We had so much fun getting to know them.  Anyway, the 1st line was pretty straight and it scared me a bit, but I did great.  Then, as they were unhooking me, one of the guides ( a boy like 17 years old) asked me if it was my 1st time and I said “Yes!  don’t kill me, I have kids”.  He said “Its my 1st time too”.  He laughed hard at my stunned look and then said, “Ok, I go with you”.  I told him that I was just fine, but before I knew it he hooked on to me and we were flying FULL SPEED through the rain forest.  It was the most exhilarating experience of my life and I wasn’t scared because I knew this kid could stop us in time.  You should have seen me!  I was flying.  I went by myself the rest of the time and barely braked at all.  The longest section was a 1/4 mile long! 

IMGP0429

(That’s me!!!)

IMGP0430

(That’s me coming in on the 1/4 mile one)

IMGP0432

Then we got to hold on monkey!  It was so cool!!

IMGP0435

IMGP0437

IMGP0438

No comments:

Utah- Part 4