Sunday, January 13, 2013

Trip- Day 1

We had a long travel day but made it safely to Tampa last night. Hal and Corey were sweet enough to drive us to Des Moines where we took a flight up to Chicago. (They are also angels since they are taking our kids the whole time!) The flight was so turbulent that they didn’t serve drinks! I tried not to barf. We had a 2 hour relaxing layover in Chicago. We had lunch and ice cream and watched episodes of a sitcom that Bob taped on my computer. Then we took a flight from Chicago to Tampa. The turbulence was the worst I have ever been in. Big drops- felt like a freaking roller coaster. Bob and I were the 1st to get our drinks and then they had to stop service because it was so bad. We were watching more episodes to try and keep our minds off the ride and hold to hold on to the computer so it wouldn’t fall off the trays. It didn’t help that I still, even at my age, look out the window and wonder how in the heck that giant tin can fly in the air. But I must say that watching the sun set and then seeing the amazing lights of Tampa at night was something I will never forget.

We FINALLY got off that plane and got a shuttle to our hotel. It was 75 degrees and nothing feels better than taking off your sweater and only wearing a t-shirt in the middle of January. It is very beautiful- the Tahitian Inn. It is totally decorated inside and out with Tikis, poolside cabanas, etc. Got dinner and crashed early. For some reason, travel always wears people out.

I crossed the 1st thing off my bucket list today when we ordered room service for breakfast! So very cool. Bob schedule as massage for me (whoohoo!!!!!!!). Our shuttle leaves to the pier at 12:00 and then we get on the ship. I am so very excited for today. This week will be an incredible adventure!

At dinner last night, our waitress was completely shocked that we were celebrating 20 years of marriage and had 4 kids (I think she thought we didn’t look that old). Then she asked us what the secret is to having a successful marriage for 20 years. That question kinda threw me. We told her that we are best friends, we spend lots of time together as a family, we do date nights, etc. On the way back to the room, I asked Bob what his answer would be. He said “selflessness”. I said it was because Bob is extremely patient and tolerant. Who knows what the perfect recipe to a successful marriage is? All I know is that we have one and it gets better every day! I’m excited to celebrate this trip with him and I am super excited for the next 20 years!

No comments:

Utah- Part 4