Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Belize- Part 1

BUCKET LIST: Taking a speed boat 20 minutes to Belize, taking a guided tour through Belize City, visiting AND climbing the ancient Mayan Ruins of Altun Ha- CHECK!

After teaching about Belize and the Mayans when I taught 6th grade Social Studies, I was VERY interested in seeing it all in person!  I was also VERY interested in the Mayan structures because of what we know from the Book of Mormon.

Belize boasts the largest coral reef in the Western Hemisphere, 2nd largest in the world.  It is protected so ships cannot go in too far. So, we have to “tender” out where they take us in groups on a speed boat to shore.

IMGP0386

IMGP0389

(Seeing Belize from the speed boat)

Belize is very different from Cozumel.  It has more of a Jamaican feel.  It is a VERY poor city that has been devastated by 3 horrible hurricanes in the past century. 

We took a bus ride through Belize City (which reminded me so much of Tijuana!)  Our guide grew up 2 miles from the Mayan Ruins.  He is Creole.  He was very funny and REALLY knew so many things about Belize and the Mayan Ruins.  I learned a TON from him.  I wish I could write it all here.  It would have been invaluable when I was teaching.  The history of the country is fascintaing and they are working so hard to help their country develop and prosper.

IMGP0390

Richard, our guide, told us that these ruins were only discovered in the 1960s and began to be excavated.  There are over 500 “mounds” (buried temples, homes, etc) in this area and only 70 have ever been uncovered.  They are waiting for expert archaeology students to come in and help with the excavation.  Here is a picture when you 1st walk in- see all the mounds? I told Bob I want to be an archaeologist so I can come back and excavate!!

IMGP0393

These are the steps that lead to the White Temple

IMGP0394

(That’s our guide, Richard, on the bottom left)

This is the All Spice Tree.  Did you know that’s where all spice comes from??  He got us some leaves and they smell like all spice.  I'm bringing one home.  If you chew on them, they will numb your lips.

IMGP0395

This is the Green Temple where they found tons of Jade buried with all the bodies.

IMGP0396

That’s right, I touched the EXACT stones the Mayans did and it was awesome!

IMGP0401

Here is one of the tombs- see the face?

IMGP0403

No comments:

Utah- Part 4