Sunday, September 01, 2013

Oh the craziness of it all…

Ok so life has me floored, so this shall be a quick update of anything I can remember (which isn't much).

Academic Assembly

Both Tyler and Kayla were honored at the high school academic assembly (thanks to Patty for the pics!)  Kayla received Honors with Distinction with her GPA being 4.7!  Way to go, Kayla!!!

IMG_0573

IMG_0575

Saturday is a flippin crazy day!

Alayna’s friend Clarissa came over and we made calzones and a giant cookie. (You should know I am a nominee for Mother of the Year award for being too exhausted to make them on Alaynas actual birthday- good thing we celebrated when Marisa was here!)

DSCF2218

DSCF2220

DSCF2222

Tomatoes Fromatoes!

For the love of pete, how did we get this many tomatoes?  We did 18 more jars and they are still coming!  I feel blessed, yet smell like tomatoes…We have so many apples that 3 limbs literally broke off this week…

DSCF2219

Marisa is Alive

We finally heard from Marisa.  She is doing awesome.  You can get to her blog from ours or I can send you the address.  She loves letters from Dear Elder.  Thank you for keeping her in your prayers.  Another missionary in Malaysia died this week so sometimes my heart hurts.

Photo: MTC pic

School and Work

We don’t see much of Tyler due to marching band and showchoir Sad smile.  He is playing in a parade next week so I cant wait to go see him in full uniform.

Alayna loves middle school and has been practicing for OPUS auditions and decided to join junior soda.

Kayla is starting to apply to colleges, prepare for the ACT this month and working long hours so I have barely seen her this week.  I don’t like that Sad smile

As for me, and I will write more later, I am more exhausted and overwhelmed than ever before BUT I ABSOLUTELY love my job.  In a nutshell, I have received TONS of compliments about what a difference I am making in both schools, etc.  It has been amazing and I am finally feeling like I am making a difference somewhere and people are noticing!

I offered to do booktalks at the MS and teachers were signing up like crazy.  Last year in August 114 books were checked out.  This year? 550!  I made a Star Wars display and we are having an Art and Photography display all month and the kids have been bringing in Amazing stuff.  teachers say the library has NEVER been like this.  My blog has almosy had 1,000 views!

Image08302013080215

A high school student did this portrait of me:

Image08302013131425

The high school is an amazing story as well.  Apparently for about 30 years it has been used as a hangout.  No one checks out books and I don’t blame them because the collections sucked.  I ordered $600 of new books, made new cool displays, and the word spread like wildfire.  I was literally booked all week with HS teachers bringing their classes in to check out everything (ALL subjects).  I LITERALLY and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, could NOT keep the new shelves stocked.  As soon as I got a book cataloged and my para got in on the shelf, it got checked out.  I have hundreds of requests for new books and series and I just ordered $400 worth of comics and graphic novels that should be here next week.

Teachers said they have been waiting for this for so long!  They have signed up for booktalks, participating in surveys and displays, I was so touched by it all this week I was almost in tears. THIS is why I do what I do.  To see the excitement, the energy, etc.  The Spanish teacher came with her class on Friday.  She said, “I HAD To bring my kids.   It has spread around the school how amazing and energetic you are and how you are getting through to kids like never before.  I had to come see it for myself.”  After so many years…well,  this has been amazing.

No comments:

Utah- Part 4