Sunday, September 15, 2013

Army crawling through the mud with joy

Army crawling through the mud with joy

This week I was reminded of the mud run that I did this summer. I vividly remember one particular obstacle where we had to army crawl under a very low net in a mud pit. It was a tight fit and my bobby pins kept getting stuck in the net above. It took all the energy I had to propel my body through that really thick mud, but I was so happy. I was with great friends, enjoying a beautiful day, and I was able to track my success through each obstacle.

(I am 3rd from the right)

In my new job, I feel very much this same way. I guess in some ways I hoped that my fibro would say, “Yeah! You got a job you love and flourish in. Now I won’t hurt you anymore.” But, it doesn’t work that way. I have still be overwhelmed, beyond exhausted, and the fibro pain has intensified. BUT I am so happy and just love what I am doing! For the first time in many years people are complimenting me, noticing me, and I can actually, physically see the difference I am making and that means the world to me.

I wanted to share some of the really cool things that have happened this week:

1. A comment left on my blog by a middle school teacher: “This is so exciting! I'm having more kids wanting to check out books than I've had in 12 years teaching here.”

2. I have over 1200 page views on my school blog!

3. There’s a boy at the high school. I had recommended Ashfall to him about a week ago. He read it in a couple of days and raced in for Ashen Winter. He came in on Friday all excited because he loved it and we were talking about how we can’t stand the wait before the next book comes out. He asked me for help in finding another one. He told me he hasn’t read a book since 4th grade and he has hated reading. When I so excited about Ashfall he gave it a chance. He read those 2 books in just a week and is so excited to keep going. He said, “I knew I had to come in and ask you for the next best book!” That touched my heart!

4. From an author in Utah: “Ah, yes! I did visit with the folks at the Rattle Can Heroes booth at Comic-Con.  I loved the artwork I saw. In fact, at the end of the Con, the one thing I bought for myself was a print of the Superman poster. And yes, I would be happy to send you a set of my Hourglass Door trilogy in paperback and a copy of After Hello in hardback. I love to help out librarians and get books into the hands of kids. Let me know the address to send the books to and they’ll be on their way. (If it’s okay, I’d be happy to send along some bookmarks as well.) Thank you for all you do as a school librarian.”

Image09112013101530

5. From a high school teacher: “In case you haven't heard people around the building are talking about what a great job you are doing. The library looks great, new books are coming in all the time, and this newsletter is definitely a great idea. Congratz to you on such a strong start. We are lucky to have you here.”

Image09132013101649

What a difference this makes for me. After all these years, finally seeing that I can make a difference. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year will bring. I will add here as well, that I am only talking about career difference. I have never once regretted staying at home with my children while they were young. I think that made a huge difference for me as well as for them.

1 comment:

The Borden Family said...

Whole lot of awesomeness!

Utah- Part 4