Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mothers Day, the Hunger Games, and turning 39

Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.  ~Author Unknown

You know you are a mother if (author unknown):

1. You count the sprinkles on each kid's cupcake to make sure they're equal.

2. You have time to shave only one leg at a time.

3. You hide in the bathroom to be alone.

4. Your kid throws-up and you catch it.

5. Someone else's kid throws up at a party. You keep eating.

7. As you cling to the high moral ground on toy weapons; your child chews his toast into the shape of a gun.

8. You hope ketchup is a vegetable, since it's the only one your child eats.

9. You find yourself cutting your husband's sandwiches into cute shapes.

10. You hear your mother's voice coming out of your mouth when you say, "NOT in your good clothes!"

11. You stop criticizing the way your mother raised you.

12. You donate to charities in the hope that your child won't get that disease.

13. You hire a sitter because you haven't been out with your husband in ages, then spend half the night checking on the kids.

14. You use your own saliva to clean your child's face.

15. You say at least once a day, "I'm not cut out for this job", but you know you wouldn't trade it for anything."

IMG_1479

IMG_1480

There was an insert in the program today at church which had sweet things each primary kid had said about their mom. Here are what Tyler and Alayna said about me:

Tyler said: “My mother makes jokes, has a good sense of humor, and she laughs.

Alayna said: “My mother is funny because if she laughs sometimes I laugh.

So apparently I AM funny. Maybe some of the humor and wit my brothers have rubbed off on me? You should watch “Funniest Home Videos” with me sometime…

Birthday

Thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes. I turned 39 this week and look forward to my last year in my 30s. Where does the time go? The kids cleaned the house, my students brought me chocolate, Bob brought home Olive garden for dinner, we went to Culvers for the bday dessert and Alayna even rubbed my feet. It just doesn’t get better than that!

IMG_1467

(The amount of cilantro he picked to put on his naked burrito)

Odds and Ends

*Marisa played her violin in church today along with her friends Estelle (plays violin) and Mark (plays the cello). They played “Oh My Father” and it was so beautiful!! They were a perfect blend and they touched many hearts today.

*Both Marisa and Kayla had meets this week. I got to see both play. They are getting so good!! Marisa had to play in wind gusts up to 45 miles an hour, so that made it quite interesting. This will be Kayla’s last week of tennis and Marisa finishes on the 22nd. We found a GIANT tennis ball at Wal-Mart the other day. It is so cool and we can’t wait to take it out onto the courts to try it.

IMG_1466

(Alayna with her new tennis visor)

*Alayna won 2 pride awards at school this week.

IMG_1469

(How heavy is Marisa’s backpack??)

IMG_1468

*The librarian at our school was just nominated as co-chair for the Iowa Teen Awards (finding the top books for middle school kids for each year). She asked me to be on her committee to become a READER and review ALL the books that are nominated this summer. I am very excited to have a say on what will be chosen.

IMG_1471

(Im not sure I have words for this….)

*Tyler has been reading a book called “The Dead and the Gone”. He highly recommends it. I told him he should post a review on his blog. I may try to read that next.

IMG_1474

(He dropped something in the parking lot, bent down to get it, and the car door shut on his head.  He got quite the goose egg)

*We were going to finish the playground yesterday, but the wind was high and the temps were low so we decided to postpone until next Saturday. I hope we finish it before the party. At least we didn’t have a blizzard like Logan! We bribed the missionaries over next Saturday to help us finish the playground and we would feed them lunch.

IMG_1475

IMG_1476

*Hal and Corey did their science presentation about inertia for Alayna’s class on Monday. They came home and shared some of the experiments with us.

IMG_1461

(Using a leaf blower on a roll of toilet paper)

IMG_1464

The Hunger Games

OK here is my book review for the week. I read a book called, “The Hunger Games” this week. I was up til 1am because I couldn’t put the stupid thing down. Action packed and very intriguing. I was thrilled to find out today that there are 2 more books!! So, I put them on my “wish list”. Anyway, here is a copy of the synopsis:

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

IMG_1458

(Bob’s new haircut)

IMG_1459

(Tyler making wontons)

1 comment:

Grace Hart said...

Happy Birthday and Mother's Day! Can't wait to see you at the end of June!

Utah- Part 4