Sunday, May 23, 2010

Licenses and Awards and Accomplishments…oh my!

May 23

Licenses and Awards and Accomplishments…oh my!

Licenses

My new official teaching license arrived!!! I expect you all to do a jig of joy for me, especially those of you who know exactly what I had to go through to get this. I feel like it’s quite an accomplishment. A miracle, really.

IMG_1511

Marisa got her driver’s license on Wednesday. We went right after school. I was scared for a second when she was doing the peripheral (sp?) test and was failing miserably. Then the lady noticed Marisa had her glasses and they are thick on the side and were blocking the blinking. So, once she took them off, she passed with ease. Whew! I tried to get a picture of her license picture but she refuses because she says it looks like a scary mug shot (they wouldn’t let her smile).

IMG_1526

IMG_1527

(Marisa hugging her car)

Later that day, she drove herself to her violin lessons-exciting for us both! However, she forgot to text when she arrived so we all started to panic-especially Tyler who left her probably over 100 frantic messages on her phone while she was in her lessons. We thought she might be dead. That night Marisa started making her car “her own” by decorating (she has a monkey doing the hula on the dashboard (from Florida) and finally got her fuzzy dice (from the gparents)), etc. She was holding the car key in her hand and said, “Who knew that the key to freedom would be so tiny!”

Awards

Marisa was accepted and inducted into the National Honor Society this week! I am so proud of her- not many get accepted. It’s been over 20 years since I was inducted, so I had forgotten the pledge. I’m including it just cause I think its super cool!

I pledge to uphold the high

Purposes of the National Honor Society

To which I have been selected;

I will be true to the principles for

Which it stands;

I will be loyal to my school;

And will maintain and encourage

High standards of scholarship,

Leadership, service, and character.

IMG_1519

Marisa had her final orchestra concert this week and was awarded another orchestra letter (her 2nd) They did several great numbers, but the last one was amazing. It was an Irish piece that sounded like Lord of the Dance and Marisa was part of a select few that got to come up to the front of the stage and play the cool part. Bob will post the clip (just for you, mom!)

IMG_1520

Accomplishments

Kayla had tech class for her final quarter class. For her final project, she designed it on paper, and then cut out and made every piece. She made a cool shelving unit for her future home. I was AMAZED at what she made. Wow!! She has a real knack for anything she can do with her hands. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work.

IMG_1523

Tyler and Kayla had their final band concerts. Bob will post some clips from that as well. They are both doing band camp this summer too.

IMG_1515

IMG_1517

Marisa made it to her Sweet Sixteen! Her huge party (she won’t let me call it a bash) will be this Friday. We did make her a giant cookie and give her a couple of presents. We (Tyler and I) got her a cool t-shirt that says, “I only date ninjas”. Happy 16th Birthday Marisa!

IMG_1528

IMG_1531

IMG_1529

Marisa had her final tennis tournament yesterday. It was a mixed doubles tournament for 4 hours yesterday. She was exhausted afterwards and this is where I found her yesterday afternoon….

IMG_1534

Oh My

I didn’t know which category to list this under. I figured if I put it under “accomplishments” Marisa would smack me. Anyway, she got a call from her friend Alex the day after her birthday, asking her on her very 1st date!! (I can’t exactly remember my 1st date, but I guarantee that it wasn’t the day after my bday.) He picked her up Friday night and they went to see the new “Robin Hood”. She said she had a great time! He was a good sport and let me take a picture so I could document the occasion (my poor children). I figure the camera was better than a shotgun?

IMG_1533

Hallelujah!! Only 6 ½ more days of school! Can I survive? We shall see…

CANNOT WAIT for the Lost finale tonight! I’m bummed I couldn’t get a flight out to attend this momentous occasion in Logan.

IMG_1516

2 comments:

Brandi Lyn said...

I loved reading this post. I don't know if its because I remember my 16th bday... my first date... or what... but I enjoyed seeing Marisa's 'accomplishments'!! And congrats to you for your license!

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Thank YOU so much for reading and commenting on it!

Utah- Part 4