Sunday, May 16, 2010

When it rains, it pours

When it rains, it pours

We had almost solid rain M-TH this week. I loved it when it was a thunderstorm. However, we really missed the sunshine. Thank goodness the sun chose to show us its face on the weekend, but our week was “rained” on in other ways…

AP World History

I think we figured that outside of class, Marisa studies for over 50 hours for this AP test. She took it Thursday morning from 7:30-11:30 and literally finished when the bell rang to say the test was done. She feels relieved to have it over. We get the results at the end of July.

IMG_1482

(Marisa’s Jaredite boat she made in seminary.  Its probably good she wasnt around to build the originals.  The Jaredites “heart-shaped ship” would probably have sunk)

ONLY 12 DAYS OF SCHOOL LEFT!

Its not like we are keeping track, haha! But if you are keeping track of things never to say to middle schoolers while teaching I have another one you can add. While teaching about the animals of South America, never mention the “blue-footed boobie”. Trust me; you will never get their attention back!

Hart Health Summer

We started our “Hart Healthy Summer” and its going great so far. I think I may have figured out a point system that may be fool-proof. Only time with tell. Anyway, each week I may share some of the ideas we are using.

Our favorite drink from Jamba Juice is Razzmatazz. We found a recipe similar to it and it’s our favorite summer treat. Here is the recipe in case anyone wants to try it out: (This makes enough for 3 people)

1 cup cran-raspberry juice

½ banana

1 cup frozen strawberries

GIANT scoop of orange sherbet

Large glass of ice

Blend in blender and enjoy!

IMG_1486

The Playground is done

I will pause now while you all rejoice with us in this HUGE accomplishment! “Go Harts, you ROCK!”

IMG_1496

(Before picture of the sandbox)

The missionaries came over 4 hours yesterday to help us finish the playground. Its a good thing because Bob and I have quickly learned that we are not as young as we used to be! The missionaries weren’t even sore this morning, and I didn’t sleep almost all night (pulled a muscle in my back) and could barely move today. I wish when I was 20 I had really appreciated my youth and energy…

IMG_1499

Anyway, I digress. The day started when Marisa and Kayla, along with 3 friends, kidnapped their other 2 friends (who are moving to Washington next month) to play for the day. They all came over along with the missionaries to have walking tacos for lunch. Then the girls made the elders their favorite cookies and then left to play a scavenger hunt at the mall.

EB glasses

(Kaela, Kayla, and Desi)

IMG_1494

IMG_1493

We rented a tiller and tilled the whole playground along with the area by the 3 trees and basketball hoop. Elder Bates, who we secretly refer to as superman, tilled for an hour straight with no complaints. He even whistled church songs the entire time. His whistling could literally be heard over the tiller all the way to the street in front of our house! When we asked the elders if they needed a break, every time they said, “We take a break when the whole job is done”. What a great example to our kids! Anyway, we pulled out all the weeds in the sandbox and all remaining weeds on the playground.

IMG_1500

(Elder Bates, AKA Superman)

Then we laid down black landscaping fabric all over the playground. Thank goodness Elder Bringham’s dad is a landscaper so he knew what he was doing and helped us lay it all out right and get the logs back into the ground. Then a giant dump truck came with a ton of wood chips and we spent probably about an hour distributing it across the playground. Not easy with the sun beating down on us. But the playground looks so wonderful now and I am so proud of all of our hard work!

IMG_1501

(Laying landscaping fabric with Elder Bringham)

At the same time the dump truck showed, we had a guy come to fix our garage door (which broke Friday night and refused to open). Then, when I mowed the back yard I unknowingly ran over and shredded a sprinkler head. Then, we found our hose had burst and was squirting out all over the place and none of us are strong enough to get the sprayer off. Should have asked those elders while they were here!

IMG_1504

Ok, drum roll….reminder of the playground BEFORE picture…

IMG_1414

IMG_1415

IMG_1416

And the AFTER pictures:

IMG_1505

IMG_1506

Survivor

We have our Survivor Finale party tonight. I’m disappointed this year because there is no one I am really rooting for this year. I just REALLY don’t want Russell to win. He makes my skin crawl.

Speaking of Survivor, I ran out and checked out “Catching Fire” the 2nd book of the Hunger Games and once again, I couldn’t put the book down. I just loved it. Just as a heads up, the 2nd one is more violent than the 1st, but definitely just as good and just as intriguing. If any of you read it, let me know what you think.

Dessert in bed?

My kids brought me dessert in bed one night (I had been completely anti-social while trying to finish “Catching Fire”), so the “Dessert Masters” (as they call themselves) brought me dessert in bed!  It was chocolate ice cream ,topped with strawberries and M&Ms with an Andes mint on top and it was SO yummy!  Thanks dessert masters!

IMG_1488

IMG_1490

IMG_1491

IMG_1492

2 comments:

CinnaPatty said...

I love how the Andes mint is still in the wrapper! Ha ha ha!
You know I used to work at Jamba Juice? Your Razzmatazz recipe is VERY close! Good call on the orange sherbet! Jamba uses all IQF fruit though (individually quick frozen). As long as you're happy, keep on blending!!!!

The Borden Family said...

The playground looks really good. I wish we were closer so we could play on it. Glad you had some help to work on it. I will say this quietly but we only have 3 days left....hahaha!

Utah- Part 4