Sunday, October 07, 2012

Our Lives in Color and Life-Changing Events

Our Lives in Color

Once I discovered there was a color run, I just KNEW we had to do it. We found one coming to Des Moines so I signed us all up. So, yesterday, we traveled out to DesMoines (its 2 1.2 hours away which kinda sucks). We had NO clue it would be this big of an event. Over 27,000 people ran it!!!

Before Pics:

IMG_5018

IMG_5022

(real reason we are dancing? To keep warm!!)

IMG_5025

IMG_5023

We ended up in the 17th wave. So absolutely crazy!!! We were in the starting line for an hour! It was also a high of 44 degrees so it was way colder than expected and we were freezing!!

IMG_5026

IMG_5030

(Warming up??)

Anyway, it is a 5K run and we were required to wear white shirts at the start. Then, every kilometer you hit there is a color station where you get all this powdered paint thrown on you which is so awesome! Made the race go so much faster. We danced, twirled, and played in the color zone.

IMG_5031

(See that white mass?  All people!!!)

IMG_5032

(Zone 1: Orange)

IMG_5033

IMG_5035

(Zone 2: Blue!)

IMG_5036

 

At the end, everyone gathers by the stage which is blasting fun music. We even did the Cupid Shuffle, probably the biggest one ever! Then every 15 minutes they do a count down and everyone throws up the packet of paint we got at the check-in and everyone gets covered!! You couldn’t even see- it was a giant rainbow dust cloud and so very very awesome!! You just don’t get a chance to do this kind of thing everyday.

IMG_5038

IMG_5040

IMG_5041

IMG_5049

We already plan to go next year and I think Keri and I will dress up, even if it embarrasses our kids! Its definitely the “Happiest 5K on the Planet”!!

IMG_5052

IMG_5053

IMG_5059

Sidenote: On our way home, we had to cover the car in towels and garbage bags. I asked tyler to take off the headrest so I could get the bag on. We got on the freeway heading home when we hear this awful noise . We look back and Kayla said she saw something but didn’t know what it was. When we stopped for dinner, I asked for the head rest back and Tyler says, “I put it on the back of the….oh, oops”. What the heck??? So now my head rest is a lonely piece of crap on the I-380. Lovely…

Choir concert

Tyler had his 1st choir concert for high school. He is in the 9th grade boy’s choir and they sounded so awesome!! He is just flourishing in choir and show choir.

DSCF1319

DSCF1318

Homecoming parade

Alayna is in a cool club at school called STOMP. They do choreographed routines with basketballs. They have been practicing hard and were in the Linn-Mar Homecoming parade this week.

DSCF1322

(Shes in the middle waving)

Life-Changing News

As most of you know, there was a huge announcement in General Conference regarding the age kids can go on missions. Marisa was attending the actual conference in the Conference center when it was announced. She said there were audible gasps and everyone was in shock. She called me so excited as soon as she got out. This could be life-changing for her if she chooses to go because she could leave on her golden birthday- 19 on May 19.

This was great news for Tyler for Tyler as well. He would have had to wait a year and ½ after high school. Now he can go as soon as he graduates. Only 4 years away. So crazy!

Master Class

I had a tough week as far as classes go. First of all, we were swamped at work. Totally swamped. Then I had several assignments due for my Master class. (I would like to add that I KILLED it and currently carry and 98% in this class and a 4.0 overall for my Master’s degree!!)

This week, on top of it all, I was required to attend a professional conference. I chose the Library 2.0 global conference. What a fascinating event!!! I attended 6 live webcasts with people literally from all over the world. The ideas were fantastic and I learned so much! I was also able to chat with people from all over the world. Amazing!

I also found out all I need is one more class (ill take in January) and I can get 2 endorsements: elementary library (K-5) and secondary library (5-12). Now lets all pray hard I can secure a full time kick-butt library job!!!

3 comments:

The Borden Family said...

Way cool race. I bet that paint powder is everywhere! Could you breathe while running? Good luck on everything coming up. thanks for always commenting on my blog.

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

You bet! Thanks for keeping a blog so we know how you guys are doing! We miss you!! Only 2 more months right???

I admit it was a little hard to breathe because i think i inhaled a lot. Tyler was smart and wore something over his mouth. Bob just ran fast! lol!

Bob and Kristina Hart Family said...

Oh and they come to Nashville and Memphis! Do it!!

Utah- Part 4