Sunday, September 09, 2012

Angels Among Us

Angels Among Us

I think sometimes the phrase, “When it rains, it pours”, really is a true statement. Sometimes it seems to pour, and pour, and pour and you find yourself praying for a drought. The thing I learned this week was that there really, truly, are angels among us.

I’ve had a couple of super tough weeks due to the harshness of others as well as other things that combined to make it “pour”. Alayna must have picked up on the fact that I was going through a tough time, because every night she has set up a “personal station” for me where we watch favorite shows together while she rubs my back and shoulders and rubs my feet with a special lotion she has created. How sweet that she not only noticed, but realized she could help in some small way, which was HUGE for me.

Today, she and Tyler ran to Aldi’s to grab something for lunch and she bought me flowers with the money she earned this week. I was so incredibly touched!

IMG_4996

This week at work was brutal in more ways than one. We have no AC and of course, they wouldn’t cancel school (like Des Moines did). The library has no cross breeze. It felt like an oven and the air was so heavy. I spent every day literally dripping wet and trust me, on days like that, don’t wear clothes that show sweat! The worst day it was about 90 degrees in the actual library and I felt like I was literally melting. A kid who is a regular during 2nd period, came in and had bought me 2 ice cold root beers!! I wanted to break down crying. I was so grateful! (He asked me last week as a joke what my favorite soda was. He is sneaky). Then, that afternoon, another boy came in and said, “Do you like Dark Chocolate?” Duh! “Have you heard of a candy called Reisens?” Heck, yes! “Well, I went to Wal-Mart this morning and got some for you.” Again, I got all misty-eyed. How did those 2 boys know I needed that so much?

I went to take a nap one day, when I woke up, Bob had done all the dishes! He also took me on a fun date for dinner.

I have a tough week ahead. Mon/Tues/Wed are my practicum as full days at Linn Grove Elementary. I am SOOOOO excited and I even get to eat lunch with Alayna every day! It also means I can knock out 2 of the 5 modules for my Master’s class, which has been a nightmare.

Also, our dryer broke. Figures right? Had to jump on along with everything else. Bob spent some time on it and thinks he figured out the problem, so he ordered a part and hopefully it’ll work.

DSCF1290

Busy, Busy, Busy

I thought going down to 3 kids would make life less busy. It didn’t work.

Marisa! We miss you!!

Alayna: She started the school running club this week. I am excited to have a new running buddy. We are doing the Color Run the 1st weekend of October and possibly doing the Turkey Trot in November. She has had OPUS and orchestra rehearsals and then joined the Art club as well. She loves being so involved and I think its great.   She also lost 2 teeth on the same day at school.

DSCF1288

Tyler: Tyler has been very busy with showchoir. Last week it was 10 hours of rehearsal. Although he complains about how tired and sore he is, he seems to really enjoy it! He also joined SODA club. His new obsession is the Nook I am piloting. He has been like a reading machine. Its funny, because I keep trying the Nook, but I would so much rather have an actual book in my hands. I guess I am still a little old school.

Kayla: She has been busy working quite a bit, and has tons of homework. She has been preparing for the ACT too. She LOVES her graphic design class and thinks this could be a possible career path. She went on a fun backyard campout with friends last night and had a lot of fun.

I have also been very impressed with something she has done so quietly that I am not sure anyone has noticed. She has a friend who recently joined the church and other than her older sister who is going on a mission, she is the only member in her family. She is also too young to drive. Kayla picks her up every Sunday, she sits with our family, and she takes her home. She takes her home from seminary each day too. Talk about an angel….

Blankets: We also started making the receiving blankets for my parents to take on their humanitarian mission to Ghana in January!  We hope to make enough to fill a suitcase we can send with them.  It’s not every day our family gets a cool opportunity like this so we are very excited!

DSCF1291

Well, I guess that’s it for the week at the Hart household. I’ll sum it all up by this quote I saw on Pinterest this week: “Don’t forget in the dark what you learned in the light”.

No comments:

Utah- Part 4