Sunday, September 02, 2012

Marisa 9/2/12

I just finished my first week of classes at BYU and it was so overwhelming that I ended up pretty sick this weekend. Because I have Monday off for Labor day, I’m spending the weekend in Logan with some of mom’s family (staying with Jonathan and Diana). Tonight we’re having a big family dinner and I can’t wait to see a bunch of my adorable cousins and awesome aunts and uncles.

Back to this week, I ended up dropping the first class I went to: Contemporary Dance. I knew it might be weird, but it was just too weird for me :) I really like all my other classes though. I’m taking 16.5 credits, and 9 of those are foreign language (French and Spanish), which is a little confusing. I’m also taking American Heritage, which so far isn’t as bad as everyone has made it sound. I’m taking a Book of Mormon class which is AMAZING. My teacher is at John Bytheway’s level and I’ve already gotten so much out of the class, even though we haven’t gotten into 1 Nephi yet. I think that’s my favorite class. I’m also doing a world dance class, which is mostly like European folk dancing. It’s really fun and interesting, and it’s a great morning class because it wakes me up for the rest of the day.

Then I have 2 french classes and a spanish class. I really like them, but it’s definitely at a much more difficult level than I’m used to, so I have to do a lot of work to try to keep up. There are several RM’s and people that have lived in French- or Spanish-speaking countries, so I feel kind of disadvantaged – thanks mom and dad for being so white ;) But one of my French teachers said something funny that helped me feel a little better. He said that missionaries are a very weird subgroup of foreign language speakers: they know a lot of street slang, and a lot of very religious words, and not much in between, so they’re really not a lot better off than the rest of us, they are just more comfortable speaking.

Overall, I have a lot of homework and work to do to catch up already, but I really enjoy my classes and I know I’m in the right place right now. I also met with my new ward for the first time last week. The bishopric is really cool, but our ward is definitely lacking males…our FHE group has 4 guys and 8 girls…but it sounds like this year will be fun. I think they said they’re going to bus us to Brigham City for the temple open house, which would be really cool.

Oh, also I don’t know how many of you watched the first BYU football game of the season, but we creamed Washington State! You might have seen me in the crowd, I was wearing white ;) The only bad part about the game is that I was supposed to go with my cousin, Jared, but our cell phone reception wasn’t working or something so we couldn’t find eachother. He ended up finding me on his way out because he had to leave early for a choir audition. Next time we’ll meet BEFORE going to the stadium so we can just walk together. They didn’t put the words to the fight song up, but luckily I have almost all of them down!

The whole game was really fun – it’s so much easier to get into football in person! Unfortunately I was up late that night for the game so I accidentally slept through my American Heritage class the next day, but they didn’t take attendance and I didn’t miss much.

Well that’s my week. Hopefully I didn’t bore you all to tears. Haha but this week I’m really excited for our first devotional with BYU’s President Samuelson and his wife. We also have another football game on Saturday against Weber State. It should be fun! I hope all is well with everyone!

No comments:

Utah- Part 4